Re: New Crosley of the Month

L.E. Hardee

I noticed that the engine used a Cobra block.  Were the good cranks even available prior to 1948 when the Ciba blocks came out.  I would think that if the cast blocks were available, one would have been used in the airplane. It would seem that adding an outboard bearing would have been an easy engineering installation.  It would have to have been removable to install the V-belts.

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:31 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Not sure if they used a special crank or not. The speculation I have heard is, since they ran the propeller through multi V belts off the back of the engine and it had to be very tight, it put a big load on the already fragile crank. An  no outboard bearing to carry the load might have made it all work.