Re: Engine help

Butch

James,

To my limited knowledge, electrolysis only works for rust removal, not carbon, oil residue or sludge. We used it a fair amount, in our shop, for rust removal.

Butch

On 2/2/2019 11:02 AM, James Dlapa wrote:
An none invasive way I would consider would be electrolysis. There are many videos on you tube. If taken to a shop, look into vapor honing.
I have used white vinegar to clean rust from several parts in the past, and if not rinsed well, tends to leave a black coating. Perhaps this is what is it from ?

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 7:51 AM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
I hope some one with hands on experience will jump in but here is my suggestions. Never ran across one with a black coating but I would start with some solvents, and a brass wire brush for the bearing surfaces. You can be more aggressive on the none machined areas. Go more aggressive on the journals only if needed to or you will end up having to have the crank ground even if it is good. Other approach would be to take it to a machine shop that does crank work and ask their opinion they may have some kind of dip tank to clean up cranks before they grind them. Determining which crank you have is a good start before you put much time and money into it, if it is an early style I would clean it enough to not get my hands dirty when moving it around and put it on the shelf if you ever get desperate for a crank.

On Feb 2, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Jim just curious about how you to clean up a crank that has been sitting in a non-running engine for years. Not rusty but just an overall black, dirty finish. The journals look just like the throws. So far I can't distinguish any numbers. I assume degreaser, but then what? I understand you can't blast cast iron. Should the surfaces be lightly ground or sanded and can the journals be polished? Based on this thread maybe we should start a TV series on the History Channel titled "The Curse of the Crosley Crankshaft".