Re: Speedometer Repair

Andy Drake

I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove alot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.