Re: Speedometer Repair

L.E. Hardee

My suggestion would be to unhook the speedo cable from the speedometer and spray the speedometer input with penetrating oil.  The rotating shaft sounds dry to me.  After you spray, rotate the input by hand, then spray a little more.  I would also lube the cable while I had it disconnected.  I have always used vasoline petroleum jelly on the bottom 1/3 of the inner cable only.  It will ride up the rest of the cable as you drive.   If you over lube the top of the cable, the grease can leak out at the speedo head and drip on your legs.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:
Are you sure the issue isn't caused by the cable?  Can you drive the speedometer with an electric drill to eliminate the cable and see if the speedometer still makes the noise?  Just a thought.  Would hate to see you go through the expense of a speedometer tune up only to find out it's the cable giving you the problem.