Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.