Re: Crosley frame strength?

Robert Connearney

An acquaintance has a Crosley wagon, into which he swapped a small Datsun pushrod engine (1300 cc, I think). Uses a Metropolitan rear end (same 4" bolt circle), but it had to be narrowed. Engine is physically similar to a Sprite/Midget, which would be much easier to find, including parts. The Spridget rear end is 42" track, only 2" wider than a Crosley, which could be narrowed a bit with front wheel drive wheels (MG 1100?), all of which have the same 4" bolt circle. I think early Honda Civic wheels would also fit.

At one time, I was going to check into the possibility of using one of those 3 cylinder Japanese/Chevvy (Prism?) engines, which were small, and i think, all alloy. Hard to find now. Could consider a Ford Zetec twin cam (iron block), or Duratec (all alloy). I can't comment on the "fit" of these. Unless a candidate engine came in a rear drive application, you would need to come up with a different transmission, and need an adapter.
Bob Connearney

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/9/18 9:15 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crosley frame strength?

I was looking at mine earlier and I think with some boxing and some extra cross members it would hold up. Not looking to race or beat on it. 
  I’m trying to find specs on doner engine and trans to compare weight difference. 

On Aug 8, 2018, at 9:14 PM, Robert Connearney via Groups.Io <rconnearney@...> wrote:

There's a chap in New England that runs a Chevvy V8 powered Crosley wagon drag race car. He uses the original chassis, strengthened by boxing, and has no problems.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "christopher cochrane via Groups.Io" <Pisarunner@...>
Date: 8/8/18 8:24 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crosley frame strength?

Just make a new frame simple box style
image1.jpeg
On Aug 8, 2018, at 4:59 AM, L.E. Hardeeimage2.jpeg<hftsales@...> wrote:
Crosley is such a narrow body.  Wouldn't an S10 frame be too wide even if the wheel base matched?

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:09 AM, Vern Barker <romardb@...> wrote:
why not use the s-10 frame ?

Join Crosley-Gang@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.