Re: special engine tool

L.E. Hardee

Speaking of special tools, I learned as a teenager over fifty years ago, that to get the block to crankcase nuts that are between the cylinders, I had to shell out the big bucks and buy a Snap-On 6-point box wrench.  It was thinner due to the high strength steel to get in the tight area, and the 6 sides griped the corroded nuts.  The standard 12 point wrench just rounded off the nut corners.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
I made my special wrench as you described, only I started with an old but good quality box wrench that I bought at a flea market for a coupe of dollars, that way I knew I was starting with good steel. Over the years I have collected a tool box drawer of special tools that I have made or bought. Those tools only come out when the standard tools don't work.

On Jul 28, 2018, at 6:11 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

Folks,
what kind of wrench works on the center 2 manifold nuts?   a home made one?   use a cheap box end and grind around the sides until it just slips on?   grind slow and keep it cool or dip into water?   does it really matter since those nuts shouldn't be that tight?   wanting to change gaskets.
also on distributor advance,  does one pull the breaker plate to be sure the advance is not stuck? any secrets, it's not going to fly apart with a hundred springs is it? like the cloth snake in a can....   thanks,  Paul Rinehart
--
<rrack.jpg>