Re: What is best spot to tie down Crosley wagon for towing?

L.E. Hardee

I too am overly cautious, but it saved both my crosley and possibly the tow vehicle.  I had inadvertently added extra Crosley parts in the Crosley such that the trailer was very tail heavy.  I did not realize this because the truck bed was also heavily loaded.  On the Interstate Northwest of Atlanta, a semi passed me and the air shock wave set up a bad oscillation. The trailer was swinging so violently that the trailer was on one wheel only and then the other.  I was all over both lanes of the highway as the trailer drug me back and forth.  The Crosley bumper broke out both tail lights on my 69 El Camino.  I realized that if I hit the brakes, I would roll the whole rig so I only jabbed the brakes when I timed that the trailer would be behind me and let up when it was jackknifed at the extreme of its swings.  It took about a mile to get the rig under control and over the the side of the road.  For some reason the other traffic backed off and let me have all the room I needed to fight for control.  Other than the tail light damage and loosing trailer hubcaps, I didn't hurt my rig or the crosley.  The trailer tires did scrape some paint on the car doors higher up than it would appear to be possible.  Go figure.

I use the four heavy straps to the axles approach but also use light duty straps to the bumper brackets straight down to the trailer.  I get someone to bounce the bumper down while I take up the slack with the strap.  This way the Crosley doesn't bounce much.  It might be over kill, but It worked for me.  My Crosley stayed on, even though the trailer was tilted sideways at 45 degrees or more.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
I agree in general, but I tie my FarmOroad down using I-Bolts I put into existing holes in the frame. The FOR has a very stiff suspension and I put enough tension on so the springs are partially compressed. I use ratchet straps on the back and chains and turnbuckles on the front, pus have a board that I pull against in the front and drop a second born into mounts in the back to keep it in place. I would not tie a regular Crosley to the frame for the reason's you give.

Jim...

On Jul 25, 2018, at 4:44 PM, Ken Acheson <jesse@...> wrote:

You never want ot tye down on frame as it is mounted on springs and will bounce and break your straps and move around

On Jul 25, 2018, at 4:03 PM, Terrance Robinson <tarobinson44@...> wrote:

how about the frame?--Terry

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:
I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."