Re: Anyone know the original Crosly 4.5-12 tire dimensions ?

Jim Bollman

I measured a like new original 4:50X12 and it was 21.5" in diameter.
I measured a Coker BFG 4:50X12 when they first came out 30 years or so ago and they were 19.4" in diameter.
I run Carlisle USA trailer tires that look pretty good (Tony Smith cares them) 4:80X12 and they were 20.5" in diameter.

Tony has several lines of 12" tire both bias ply and radials.

Good luck.

Jim...

On Jul 25, 2018, at 1:26 PM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:

I am looking at buying new tires for my Crosley Wagon and read someplace the original 4.50-12 bias plys were larger then even the 4.80-12s available today.  The tire numbering is usually a direct measurement of the tire so not sure if this is true.  Thus I am looking for someone with a low mileage Crosley or even an unused spare with a known original 4.50-12 still on it they could measure to figure out proper tire specifications.  As we all know a slight change in tire dimension greatly alters the effective MPH of any vehicle and this is quite important to good drive ability and speed.  Thanks for any help offered! Todd