Re: electric fuel pump

Butch

Hello Paul and Gang,

Yes, anything above 3 to 3 1/2 pounds, will have a bad ending, sooner or later.

The BIG advantages of electric pumps are, 1; on cars that sit for long periods, the fuel dries up in the carb float bowls and it takes a lot of cranking, to re-prime the fuel system. 2; when the electric pump is installed properly, toward the rear of the car, it "pushes" fuel, rather than sucking it. Plus, being in a cooler location, it helps prevent vapor lock, which is far from rare, in Crosleys, especially parade and "around town" cruise cars.

And yes, the electric pump kits, that Service Motors had/has, are of the correct pressure and include a relay, to provide better power for the pump and prevent starving the voltage, at the coil.

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Butch

On 4/14/2018 5:08 PM, paul wrote:
Jim,
think that is probably where I will go. these are new compared to 65+ years old. guess I just became prejudiced because my HS pump went bad shortly after I bought the car, the circus car already has an electric pump, and the 47 I just picked up has a bad one. not thinking of the age I considered the reliability but a new pump should be fine.  thanks for making me think straight,  Paul

On 4/14/2018 4:59 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
The stock mechanical pump should be between 1.5 and 3.5 lbs of pressure. You're taking a chance of forcing gas by the float valve if you exceed that. You could add a pressure regulator but that adds to the cost again. Why not just rebuild the mechanical pump or buy a new one. Service and Yankee have new pumps for $60-65.