Re: Looking for crosley pickup

Robert Connearney

Pretty hard to gain much with altered wheel offset. "Reversing" wheels generally increases track. Could go to some front-wheel-drive wheels, which are comparatively more offset inwards; 12" MG 1100 wheels would fit (4" bolt circle), but I'd be shocked if they gained more than 3/4" per wheel. (I think early Honda Civic wheels are 4" bc as well.) To gain the required 2.5" per side, you'd need to offset stock wheels by a about the width of the rim; the inner wheel would project several inches beyond the outer edge of the rim. Agreed, if you're going to swap the engine, then it's a "hot rod", and you might as well add flairs. Aesthetically, I think they would difficult to integrate with the later pick-ups, but might actually look cool on a "roundside".

            Bob Connearney

From: Doug Daniel via Groups.Io <sanfelipedoug@...>
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Looking for crosley pickup

  You are correct;  narrowing a rear axle at a competent machine shop can get expensive.

  Two other options are:
1).  Change  the wheel offset for the rear wheels so that the tires move inboard with the wider axle.
2).  Install fender flairs and let the front and rear wheel tread width be different.

Thanks

      Doug

On Feb 22, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Robert Connearney via Groups.Io <rconnearney@...> wrote:

Some engines I would investigate for potential swap material:

  • BMC "A" Series (Sprite/Midget) - 948 to 1275 cc, easy to find and cheap, maybe shorter than the Crosley, but undoubtedly heavier.
  • Datsun "A" Series - 1200 - 1500 cc, similar to BMC "A", very rugged, 5-bearing forged steel crank, maybe not too easy to find. I know a guy that made this swap, which he says was fairly easy; used the Datsun transmission also, with open drive and a narrowed Metropolitan (Sprite/Midget) rear end. Could get you some specific info, if you think about going this route.
  • Suzuki 3-Cylinder - 1000 cc, used in Chevy Geos, don't know much about them, but I believe are all aluminum (therefore light), SOHC, probably shorter than Crosley, except I think the distributor is driven off the back of the cam, therefore may need a recess in the firewall. (A new model of the Lotus/Caterham 7 uses a current version of this engine, 660 cc, DOHC, 80 HP; these are from Suzuki Kei-Cars, therefore probably hard to source in the USA.) What's in the new little Chevies, maybe the current Suzuki 3-cylinder? You might check the small Chevy 4 Ecotec, I know a fellow putting one in a Ford Anglia/Popular.
  • Early Cortina/Pinto 1600 cc engines are nice, but hard to find since they're all snapped up by the Formula Ford guys. Ford Zetecs are similar displacement, DOHC. Or the current Duratec, similar to the Zetec but all-aluminum.

It would be ill-advised to even think about using the Crosley transmission/rear end, so you can figure on a significant packet of money to narrow a rear end. I think the narrowest available is the Spridget, which has a track of 45", about 5" more that a Crosley (but same wheel bolt pattern). Don't commit to a modern engine without making sure you won't have an emissions compliance problem with your friendly state government. (An acquaintance has a beautifully home-made Lotus Seven which took many years to build. But the engine, which was certifiable when he bought it, can no longer be used in what the state considers to be a "new" car.)

Many modern engines are set up for front wheel drive, so you probably need to budget for fabricating or buying an appropriate adapter to some available conventional transmission.

 Bob Connearney