Re: Engine change out

paul

Andy,
I have had good luck with nylon rope around the engine (not a chain) and over the hook of the hoist, more maneuverability. also with the hood off, one can put the front half of the car on stands and come in from the side, straddle the tire. a second person is a huge help too, the lower man can move the light engine all around while the upper fellow moves the hoist, adjusts the height, and tilts the engine, easy enough when the rope slides in the hook. Paul Rinehart in Dayton, Ohio

On 2/22/2017 9:12 AM, Andy Drake wrote:

Inquiring minds want to know: what's the easiest way to do this? I've read the manual about a hundred times and it's relatively straightforward...in print. When I attempted to drop a motor into my '47 sedan two summers ago, I ran into all kinds of logistical challenges, not the least of which was dealing with the transmission and the legs to my engine hoist not fitting underneath the car easily which made dropping it into place a chore.

Step 1 appears to be to strip the motor of generator/water pump/manifolds to reduce unsprung weight, including removal of the transmission.

Step 2 is install the transmission in the car first (minus shift lever) so you can later lower the motor in place and "just" slide it back to mate up with the bellhousing.

Step 3 is to make sure engine compartment is clear (radiator is removed, etc.) so there's enough room to move the engine front to back.

Step 4 lower motor in place and slide back so transmission input shaft slots into flywheel/clutch. Here's where I think I went wrong --
what's the trick to align everything? Use the transmission input shaft to set the clutch disk and flywheel in place, then gently remove and install transmission? You still have to sort of jiggle the flywheel to get everything to slide into place, right?

Step 5 Bolt everything back together, install generator/water pump/manifolds.

It's just that simple, right? What am I missing?