Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

speedoo51@...

I just rebuilt a 4 bolt last year...New bushing and shaft, new packing from Mcmaster Carr..Guessed at how much packing to put in, I think I did 3 turns..I don't use a grease fitting per se, I use grease supply that every once in a while you give a half turn or so and fill once a year with extreme pressure lube..Initially the packing does put drag on the pump and does twist the drive coupling some but the lube gets to the packing too so it lessons up after a bit..And I never expect the seal to not leak, a drip once in a while is acceptable as it does see 3000 rpm most of the time ..... .