New guy update - EZ-Way

Dennis Shubitowski

Hey folks - I am picking up an RBX-60 EZ-Way tower that is in really good shape. There are a couple of issues with it. I think the winch got away from someone for tilting the tower and the top section has a slight bend. Also one of the stops and braces near that top lower section are loose, probably from dropping the crackdown too fast. the tower is solid and fully galvanized with no rust. and there is also the top section for the rotor in the garage, never used.

I can weld the two loose sections, but not sure on the bend. I will have to take a closer look. I plan on putting in a cement base with braces to the hinge pin for titling. If the winches are not double and don't have a stop where you can let go, I will look to replace those too. It also looks like new SS cable was done a few years ago.

73 -
Dennis

Herb Celler

Do not use a cement base. If the wonder pole is there with it there is no need for it. I have had 2 of them years ago they work good

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 11:09 AM Dennis Shubitowski <Shubitowski@...> wrote:
[...]

The Wonderpole is not there. There is a cement base with a base unit and two solid bars connecting to the hinge. I will check into the Wonderpole and see.

Dennis NS8H

Dennis Shubitowski

I just wanted to update that Aluma Tower sells their MP-2 "Wonderpole" that looks like it will work with the tower.
https://www.alumatower.com/products/towers/amateur-radio-operators/
https://www.alumatower.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/QS-1348-MP-2-SALES-DRAWING-2-.pdf

I have a message into the site for a quote. I imagine shipping is going to be a killer for a 13 ft pole.

73 -
Dennis NS8H

Scott

I made mine with a 16' steel tube 7" dia and 1/4 thick. I have a rbx-70
I also embedded it in concrete with the braces.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021, 09:55 Dennis Shubitowski <Shubitowski@...> wrote:
I just wanted to update that Aluma Tower sells their MP-2 "Wonderpole" that looks like it will work with the tower.
https://www.alumatower.com/products/towers/amateur-radio-operators/
https://www.alumatower.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/QS-1348-MP-2-SALES-DRAWING-2-.pdf

I have a message into the site for a quote. I imagine shipping is going to be a killer for a 13 ft pole.

73 -
Dennis NS8H

Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist \(N6RK\)

1.  Is Aluma Tower company in any way connected with the old EZ-way tower, and to

what extent is the MP-2 a clone of the old EZway pole?

2.  Regarding shipping:  try "U-ship"

3.  For FD, is the assumption that you dig a MUCH bigger hole

than necessary with shovels, fixture the pole in the bottom,

and then fill it back in?   I don't see any way to "drill"

a hole just big enough without a truck mounted auger.

And in either event, removing the pole requires extensive

excavation to remove the packed in dirt, or again a

big truck with a winch that can yank out the pole by

brute force.  Am I missing something here?

4.  You are not supposed to dig by hand holes deeper

than 4 feet due to the cave-in danger.  When I was young

and foolish I dug several 3 x 3 x 6 foot deep holes with a

garden spade, a 5 gallon bucket, and a ladder.  Can't

imaging doing that within the 24 hour FD limit.

73

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK

On 2021-07-08 06:55, Dennis Shubitowski wrote:

I just wanted to update that Aluma Tower sells their MP-2 "Wonderpole" that looks like it will work with the tower.
https://www.alumatower.com/products/towers/amateur-radio-operators/
https://www.alumatower.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/QS-1348-MP-2-SALES-DRAWING-2-.pdf

I have a message into the site for a quote. I imagine shipping is going to be a killer for a 13 ft pole.

73 -
Dennis NS8H

Dennis Shubitowski

1. I do not know if Aluma Tower is connected in any way to EZ-Way - they went out of business in the 1970s or 80s.

2. Thank you for the  U-Ship recommendation!

3. This is not for FD. This tower is going in at my QTH.

4. I already have a hole that is 5 feet deep and done by an excavator that was waiting for a tower. I feel safe as that hole has stood fine for months now (covered though). I plan to drop a ladder in, climb down, and use a post hole digger for the last foot or two I need. I can then place the pole and fill the entire hole.

73 -
Dennis NS8H

I have a 40' AlumaTower mounted on an MP2. I dug my hole with a shovel, post-hole diggers, and my shop vac. In an effort to keep my hole tight I would break up the dirt and suck it out with the shop vac after I was about 3 feet deep. Then after 6.5' deep put the MP2 into the hole. when refilling I used a water hose as I filled it back in. My tower has survived two hurricanes and a few tropical storms in SouthWest Florida. No concrete is needed. My tower is still strong and true like the day we installed it.

Since we were just across the state from AlumaTower I rented a Uhaul truck and picked it up at the factory and saved a great deal in shipping. Go a tour of the shop in the process.

AlumaTower is the way to go!

Rich, KR4PI