Hole for Wonder Post

Chris Pinholster

I have purchased a WP-2 from Aluma Towers that looks like a copy of the old EZ Way tower wonder post. It is for the Aluma 40ft model. Their design is meant to be buried in an hole 16-18in. wide and 6ft deep. I am unable to dig such a hole myself at my age. I dug the hole on more than one of the old EZ Way designs many years ago but I don’t remember having to go 6ft deep. The upper fins on this design are right at the surface, so it looks like they would have to be buried also in order to keep the tower from twisting or leaning.

Questions: Has anyone experience with this Aluma WP2?
How did you dig the hole or find the proper person with expertise to do so?

I live on the west coast of Fl in Belleair Beach, in the Tampabay area. I placed a wanted ad on Craigslist and an a blurb on my Facebook page, but don’t know where else to look. In the past tower folks had great answers to different situations so I’m back to the well looking for answers again.

Thanks

Chris Pinholster
k4win@...

Rory Sena

Chris, you might want to look into a HydroVac service, they can do perfectly round our square hole in a very short time.

Rory-N6OIL

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 1:13 PM Chris Pinholster via groups.io <k4win=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

hospiceforcars@...

Find a local Boy Scout Troop and offer to pay a couple of the older boys to dig your 18” x 72” hole. Work out a fair price with the boys and set them to work with your supervision. If you have to stand there and watch every move they make the price goes down, if you set them the task and check on them while bringing them water and snacks or lunch periodically the price goes up. Make a couple of gauge sticks (one 18” for the diameter and one 72” to check depth) and put them to work. Offer a bonus if they complete the job to your satisfaction in some time limit that is reasonable but makes them stay at the task and not take too many breaks.

73,

Dave W4DPW

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Larry Stowell K1ZW

Chris

Find a landscaper with a bobcat and have them rent a 12" agar with an extension.

that's the way I did it the post is 6" and the fins are 3" = 12" of course I'm in red clay

I took a week to back fill it wetting and packing a little each night, its been up since 2001.

I have the 75" HD great tower.

73 Larry K1ZW

On 5/15/2020 3:57 PM, Chris Pinholster via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Charlie Hansen

RE digging the hole....I made longer handles for my 6" "pincher type"
post hole digger from "clear" 2x2 pine. Even after more than 30 years
they still work great for deep holes.

Don't forget to backfill with sharp-grained fine sand...NOT beach sand!

Charlie, N0TT

On Fri, 15 May 2020 15:57:12 -0400 "Chris Pinholster via groups.io"
<k4win@...> writes:

[...]

bburleymech1092@...

I made the drill bit and the extension's   and extended the  handles on a post hole digger.  The hole I dig was 7' deep 13" in diameter

I have a 40' tower from Aluma Tower

Brian  73
KE8ANW
ke8anw@...

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 06:41:04 PM EDT, Larry Stowell K1ZW <wa2fif@...> wrote:

Chris

Find a landscaper with a bobcat and have them rent a 12" agar with an
extension.

that's the way I did it the post is 6" and the fins are 3" = 12" of
course I'm in red clay

I took a week to back fill it wetting and packing a little each night,
its been up since 2001.

I have the 75" HD great tower.

73 Larry K1ZW

On 5/15/2020 3:57 PM, Chris Pinholster via groups.io wrote:
> I have purchased a WP-2 from Aluma Towers that looks like a copy of the old EZ Way tower wonder post. It is for the Aluma 40ft model. Their design is meant to be buried in an hole 16-18in. wide and 6ft deep. I am unable to dig such a hole myself at my age. I dug the hole on more than one of the old EZ Way designs many years ago but I don’t remember having to go 6ft deep. The upper fins on this design are right at the surface, so it looks like they would have to be buried also in order to keep the tower from twisting or leaning.
>
> Questions: Has anyone experience with this Aluma WP2?
> How did you dig the hole or find the proper person with expertise to do so?
>
> I live on the west coast of Fl in Belleair Beach, in the Tampabay area. I placed a wanted ad on Craigslist and an a blurb on my Facebook page, but don’t know where else to look. In the past tower folks had great answers to different situations so I’m back to the well looking for answers again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Pinholster
> k4win@...

I have the same mount for my AlumTower. If you are not in too terribly rocky ground a shop vac works great. Dig the first couple feet with a post hole digger and shovel. But then it gets difficult to dig such a small hole down to 6+ feet deep.  I used my shop vac to suck up the dirt. I would break it up with a long metal bar and then vacuum it up. It is not too difficult to empty the shop vac every so often. I attached the nozzle of the shop vac to a pole so It was easy to control it as it gets deeper in the hole.

My tower survived Hurricane Irma a couple of years ago so I know the MP-2 mount is very stable.  When you backfill just run some water into the hole as you go and it makes a pretty solid mount.

Even if you burn up your shop vac (you won't) it is cheaper than a backhoe and makes a much more compact of a hole. Have fun and enjoy the new tower!

Rich, KR4PI

Wes Stewart

Great minds.  I dug a four foot deep, 18" diameter hole for my DXEngineering tilt over mount for my 160 vertical. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-va-pivot-3

The soil in the chosen spot is compacted decomposed granite (like really coarse sand) with a few rocks thrown in.  When the hole got so deep that the post hole digger handles were hitting the sides of the hole, I broke out the shop vac.  Rocks too big to go through the hose were just held by suction while I brought up the hose and removed them.

I was able to keep the hole precise enough that I almost had to hammer in the 18" Sonotube.

Wes  N7WS

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 9:26:56 AM MST, Rich Schnieders <rich.schnieders@...> wrote:

[...]

John

Hi Chris,
I installed one in Dunedin, FL by adding on to the length of the post-hole-digger handles.  Here is a picture.  I bought one of those cheap green 6 foot fence posts and cut it in half and bolted it to the wood handles.  Good luck.
73, John, K9KA