Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: [CrankupTiltoverTowers] comparing 40-meter beams

Good morning, guys,

If I bought the 3rd element for the Hy-Gain Dis-72, turning it into a Dis-73, and put up my 4 element 20 meter Yagi  I would be forever wishing I had 10/12/15/17.

For the past four years I have been enjoying a new QTH with room for plenty of antennas and comparing each new one to the old one.  I am greatly enjoying the Force 12 C4-XL, and routinely have a big or biggest signal.  But when I join the truly big boys on 14.160 or 7.163, I am barely an also ran.  Clearly there is room for improvement.

I have a HexBeam above the C4-XL for comparisons and worry it is adversely interacting with the C4.  My next step will be to remove it and replace it with beams for 440/2/6 as the top of my stack of stuff.

Reference the C4 as a C3, it is comparable to the TH-7DXX.  I have owned both the TH-6 and TH-7DXX and have a lot of respect for them.  I have the publication “HF Tribander Performance: Test Methods & Results, 2nd edition by Silver and Morris.  The sum of average gains for the C3 is 10.3 dBd while for the TH-7DXX it is 9.8 dBd.

I have yet to hear a JK Hawk in the mix of big guns.  But I have just started listening.  I am sure they are out there.

I do worry about the weight and size of the JK Hawk and potential hurricanes here in Florida.

Thank you for the discussion

Terry - W6LMJ

On Jan 28, 2019, at 1:41 AM, Dino Darling <dino@...> wrote:

Andre beat me to it!