Re: How to test your internet speed

Gary Steinkohl

The time of day you do your internet Speed Test affects the result you see.

The internet cable system is like a highway. Not the internet itself, but the cable wiring system which is strung on poles along our roads. This is how we access the internet. This cable system are like a motor highway in that both have a finite capacity. The more drivers on a highway at one time, the slower everyone goes. Likewise, the more users on the internet at one time, the slower everyone's 'internet speed' is. The speed you can drive on a highway when it is busy - rush hour - is very different than driving on the same highway at 4 o'clock in the morning. The same is true for the internet. If you use the internet when everyone else is using it, your speed drops. If you use the internet it at 4 o'clock in the morning you will likely get your fastest speed.

But this is only one factor affecting your internet speed. Another major impact is the activity you're doing on the internet. If its something that needs very little data flow, like emails or surfing the net, you may not notice, nor even have, a speed problem. But if you're downloading files (especially photos), or streaming a movie - often ok in standard fomrat, challenging in 4K, and a disaster in 8K - you will experience a drastically different speed.

Hope this helps...

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 2:08 PM Jim and Kris Stufano <jamesstufano@...> wrote:
Your internet speed does vary at various times of the day and even within minutes of the previous test.  I was getting 91 thru 98 and then it was in temporarily in the 60s on the next test for a few minutes before bouncing back into the 90s.

I am not sure if time of day usage such as during business hours or evening new time affects the speed when at peak hours.

I may use SpeedTest.net a couple times a year just out of curiosity so it’s not something you need to worry about daily. It’s a tool to check your service.  We pay for the 300 speed package but only get 1/3 of that.

I’ve read you can call your internet provider to say “Hey why is my speed so low” after using the test as proof of your speed.

They may turn things up as a result of your call.  ISP can also play games to slowly turn things down so they get you to sign on for a more expensive faster speed package which is a good reason to use speedtest.net - there are other tests but SpeedTest.net is the one I’ve used for a few decades.

As for 50 Mbs - the answer depends on your usage.  Here is Googles answer.

We recommend grabbing at least 50 Mbps download speeds if it's just you and maybe one other person using the internet. As for families, we think 100 Mbps or more download speed is better. Your internet service's download speed is measured in megabits per second. Anything above 25 Mbps is considered high-speed internet.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Barbara Prindle via groups.io <cebbp=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
I suggest taking it a few times as you will get different readings at different times.

--
Gary Steinkohl

Join CornwallCommunityNetwork@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.