Topics

Getting started with ChordPro and Windows #resolved #windows

@ian.bowden

Hello!
I'm a long-time guitarist who fully understands the ChordPro format and how it can be used. I have a project that requires me to create some nicely-formatted song sheets showing lyrics and chords and ended up at chordpro.org. The illustration on the main page showing the process of Love Me Tender going from the CP text format to something nice-looking is exactly what I need!
Despite being someone who makes his living at a computer, my quest for actually being able to do this seems to be far from over! Using links on the website I've successfully installed Strawberry Perl on my PC and then executed the specified cpan script at the command prompt. At that point, I get an error: Could not expand [App::Music::ChordPro::Wx]. Check the module name.
Can anyone help me from here? I know nothing about Perl and unable to go any further.
Cheers!
Ian

PS - If there's a better way - different software or whatever - that you'd suggest for me, I'm open to it!

Johan Vromans

Hi Ian, welcome to ChordPro.

I noticed something changed in the Strawberry repositories and it seems that App::Music::ChordPro::Wx is missing. I have to track that down.

You have two options. One is to use a precompiled binary (https://github.com/ChordPro/chordpro/releases/download/R0_974/ChordPro-GUI-installer-0-974-0-1-msw-x64.exe). That is easiest.

The other, since you have Strawberry perl installed already, is to use two cpan commands:

cpan Wx
cpan App::Music::ChordPro

(the first command may take a while). The advantage of this approach is that you are much more flexible in tweaking and updating. If you are familiar with git you can even run the bleeding edge development version.

In either case, use wxchordpro to get going. If you need anything complex it is better to use the chordpro command line tool.

For your final question: Yes there are other tools that can do nice things with ChordPro files. The ChordPro program discussed here is sometimes a bit harder to get used to, but is much more powerful and flexible.

@ian.bowden

Johan,

Thank you very much for the quick response!

Unfortunately, using the cpan Wx command yields the same error message.

Using your binary download, however, successfully allowed me to install the software on my Win 10 PC. With no "print" and only "preview," I presume the typical flow is to preview first and, if it looks okay, print it. I note that the preview is actually a PDF generated with a seemingly-random name.

Obviously, if the Perl-based program offers more functionality, I'd love to try it.

Cheers!

Ian

Johan Vromans

The module names are case sensitive. It is cpan Wx (capital W).

ChordPro is a perl program. WxChordPro is a GUI wrapper around ChordPro. The wrapper only exposes a limited number of formatting capabilities. For advanced formatting you need to maintain config files and that is easier with the command line version. For example, on the command line you can generate a single PDF document from a collection (songbook) of ChordPro files.

Johan Vromans

I presume the typical flow is to preview first and, if it looks okay, print it. I note that the preview is actually a PDF generated with a seemingly-random name.

Yes. You can save or print it from the previewer.

With the command line version you can generate PDF files directly.

@ian.bowden

Not realizing that that command cpan Wx was case-sensitive, I have once again executed it on the command line. This time, I don't get an error message but "a while" (as you previously stated it might take) has now been over ten minutes! In fact, if I stare at the code flying by on the Command Prompt screen, I'm seeing the occasional warning and it would appear to me that whatever is running here is in an endless loop and will run forever! It's now been about 15 minutes and I have no other option but to close down the Command Prompt window. Seemingly, something is still not working properly.

I certainly had no intention of having to communicate so much with you, Johan - and I doubt you thought likewise! But I'd really like to explore the command line version of this software.

Cheers!

Ian

Johan Vromans

Depending on the power of the PC, building Wx can take a substantial while... maybe hours...

But as you may guess, you don't need this Wx if you use the command line chordpro. cpan App::Music::ChordPro should only take a minute or so.

No problem about the communication, that is where this list is for. I don't mind spending some time to aquire another happy user.

Johan Vromans

Pre-built versions for Windows will now be part of the releases.

Alvin Tostig

And we lesser mortals rejoiced.  👍 😁 👍