Topics

wxchordpro on Mac #mac #needinfo

Brett Jackson

Hi Guys
Not super technical but can't bumble my way through things.
I have ChordPro working in the terminal but failing when trying to run ChordPro with the WxWidgets UI library.
I have WxMac installed via homebrew.

Has anyone else seen this issue or maybe firstly does the UI work on the mac and /or do I need to compile the WX version?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

here is the error message I get:

Can't locate Wx.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Wx module) (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /usr/local/bin/WxChordPro line 6.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/WxChordPro line 6.

Tony Mann

I get the exact same error message when doing standard Mac install. I was going to try the homebrew solution so I am disappointed that it did not work. Did you install Perl via homebrew as well? What was the exact method you used to install ChordPro?

Tony

On Apr 16, 2020, at 12:58 AM, bj@... wrote:

[...]

I used this page for instructions on installing perl:

https://learn.perl.org/installing/osx.html

Installed ChordPro using

sudo /usr/bin/cpan chordpro

That gave the command line interface and it seems to work okay.
I just wanted the convenience of a GUI as I'm not a great typist. :)

I'm in the dark here myself but i managed to get the gui window once I installed a perl version of wxwidgets using the command at the top of this page
http://www.wxperl.it/p/download.html

That gets me the UI window when I run "wxchordpro" in terminal.
But it seems I've missed something as it seems to crash as soon as it open. it doesn't give me the file open dialog box and the menus don't open.
I see a flash of something just as it opens but can't catch what that is.

I'll keep digging but I'm busy with work projects at present.

Tony Mann

Good info, thanks.

Your timing is good, since I have taken on the task of making a better Mac installation process. I will start with the command-line tool and then work on the GUI version. It seems clear to me that Wx has very poor support on the Mac, as I have yet to get it working via the “normal” installation routes. But as soon as I find a way I will let you and everyone know, and then I will automate the process.

Tony

On Apr 16, 2020, at 12:22 PM, bj@... wrote:

I used this page for instructions on installing perl:

https://learn.perl.org/installing/osx.html

Installed ChordPro using

sudo /usr/bin/cpan chordpro

That gave the command line interface and it seems to work okay.
I just wanted the convenience of a GUI as I'm not a great typist. :)

I'm in the dark here myself but i managed to get the gui window once I installed a perl version of wxwidgets using the command at the top of this page
http://www.wxperl.it/p/download.html

That gets me the UI window when I run "wxchordpro" in terminal.
But it seems I've missed something as it seems to crash as soon as it open. it doesn't give me the file open dialog box and the menus don't open.
I see a flash of something just as it opens but can't catch what that is.

I'll keep digging but I'm busy with work projects at present.

Sean Adair

Hi Tony! Thanks!  Would really appreciate this.  Never got my installation working properly.  What I’d really love is real gui to make my music experience a bit more transparent… I gather WXchordpro isn’t cutting it.
I’m pretty sure my installation issue were all about defining locations, as I ended up finding a bunch of detritus in my user directory.

Sean Adair
Adair Productions

Mobile: 917.701.3595
VM: 212.686.3777
405 E 13th Street, #5
New York, NY, 10009-3498

HD Video Production & Digital Media

On Apr 18, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Tony Mann <thephatmann@...> wrote:

[...]

Good news: I am able to get wxchordpro running on my Mac. I used homebrew to install Perl and Wx, and then used cpanm to install all the needed modules. Some hiccups but fairly smooth.

Unfortunately I am not seeing any menus, so something is still not right. Once I have menus showing I will figure out the exact steps needed to set this all up.

Tony

On Apr 18, 2020, at 4:30 PM, Sean Adair <sean@...> wrote:

[...]

yeah i think you are at where I am.
No menus and the app is essentially frozen.
Haven't had a chance to revisit this issue but will attack it again in the coming days.

Brett Jackson
Wilmette, IL