Topics

Short forms for start_of_verse and end_of_verse #resolved #ChordPro

Tony Mann

The directives {start_of_chorus}, {end_of_chorus}, {start_of_tab}, and {end_of_tab} all have short forms (e.g. {soc}). Any reason why the {start_of_verse} and {end_of_verse} directives do not have the {sov} and {eov} short forms, too?

Johan Vromans

The main reason is that there is no start_of_verse. ChordPro allows start_of and end_of anything. chorus, tab and grid have a predefined meaning, but you can use anything else. start_of_verse, start_of_bridge, start_of_coda, and so on.

These so-called sections can be given a distinctive appearance by defining an appropriate section entries in the config file. See https://github.com/ChordPro/chordpro/wiki/ChordPro-Configuration-PDF#section-styles .

start_of_chorus and start_of_tab have short forms for historical reasons.

Tony Mann

Edited

Johan, `start_of_verse` is listed as a directive in the documentation. But in the reference code, as you say, there is only explicit support for `start_of_${whatever}`. Looks like the documentation should be changed?

Johan Vromans

Yes, you are right. This is confusing. I assume I added start_of_verse and then decided to go for a more generic approach. However, the start_of_verse remained in the docs.

The idea behind sections was to be able to write ChordPro in a structured way, i.e. every line of text belonging to some outer entity. Not surprising this was influenced by the possibility to generate HTML <div> and LATEX \environment. This never took off completely.

Maybe it is a good idea to promote start_of_verse to a real member of the directives, including a sov, and leave the other sections (bridge, coda, etc.) as they are right now.

What do you (and other users...) think?

Tony Mann

I like the idea very much. To complete the picture, I suggest we add start_of_bridge and end_of_bridge (with corresponding short forms), too. This would cover the structure of nearly every song, with the custom forms covering the edge cases.

ChordPro Team

Currently there is support for special treatment of sections, see section styles.
I suggest to drop this, since it is unintuitive and effectively obsoleted by section labels.

holger.eichelberger@...

Consistency is always good, at least from my point of view ;)

Tony Mann

Interesting to read this! It make the value of custom sections clear.

At the very least the documentation should include a description of custom sections.

As for short forms, even though they are easy to type, they don’t fit well into the idea of custom sections.  As suggested, at this point they should be considered historical artifacts.

Going further with this thought, start_of_chorus, etc. are also historical artifacts. Perhaps the docs should start with an explanation of sections in general, and then mention that a few section types are standardized in the config files, but that any can be used.

Tony

On Mar 25, 2020, at 2:11 AM, ChordPro Team <info@...> wrote:

Currently there is support for special treatment of sections, see section styles.
I suggest to drop this, since it is unintuitive and effectively obsoleted by section labels.

ChordPro Team

Tony Mann

Nice work. Explains the custom and expanded set of standard sections in a straightforward manner.

Do we need a feature request ticket to be added to reference implementation to handle the new short forms?

Tony

On Mar 26, 2020, at 10:57 AM, ChordPro Team <info@...> wrote:

ChordPro Team

No need. This is already implemented in the development branch.