OCA Choir Cues for the Universal Exaltation, Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Philip Sokolov

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
The Universal Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross of the Lord.

Epistle: (125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24
Gospel: (60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THE FIRST ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: O God, my God, attend to me! / Why hast Thou forsaken me?
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: Why art Thou so far from helping me, / from the words of my groaning?
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: O my God, I cry in the day, but Thou dost not answer; / and by night, but find no rest.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: Thou dwellest in the sanctuary, / the praise of Israel.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

THE SECOND ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: O God, / why dost Thou cast us off forever?
Refrain: O Son of God, crucified in the flesh, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

Verse: Remember Thy congregation / which Thou hast gotten of old.
Refrain: O Son of God, crucified in the flesh, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

Verse: Remember Mount Zion, / where Thou hast dwelt.
Refrain: O Son of God, crucified in the flesh, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

Verse: God is our King before the ages; / He has worked salvation in the midst of the earth.
Refrain: O Son of God, crucified in the flesh, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and ever, and unto ages of ages.  Amen.
Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God...

THE THIRD ANTIPHON, Tone 1

Verse: The Lord reigns; let the peoples tremble.
Troparion: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Verse: The Lord reigns; let the peoples tremble.  He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake.
Troparion: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Verse: The Lord is great in Zion; He is exalted over all the peoples.
Troparion: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Verse: Bow down in worship to the Lord in His holy court.
Troparion: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

THE INTROIT OF THE LITTLE ENTRANCE

Extol the Lord our God; worship at His footstool, for He is holy.

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: As Thou wast voluntarily crucified for our sake, / grant mercy to those who are called by Thy name, O Christ God. / Make all Orthodox Christians glad by Thy power, / granting them victories over their adversaries, // by bestowing on them the invincible trophy, Thy weapon of peace.

INSTEAD OF "HOLY GOD..."

Before Thy Cross / we bow down in worship, O Master, / and Thy holy Resurrection // we glorify.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend.
Priest: Peace be unto all.
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom.
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone, a Psalm of David: Extol the Lord our God; worship at His footstool, for He is holy.
Choir: Extol the Lord our God; worship at His footstool, for He is holy.
Reader: The Lord reigns, let the peoples tremble.
Choir: Extol the Lord our God; worship at His footstool, for He is holy.
Reader: Extol the Lord our God;
Choir: Worship at His footstool, for He is holy.

Deacon: Wisdom.
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend.

[(125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24] Brethren: The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. * For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart." * Where is the wise man?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? * For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. * For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, * but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, * but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom.
Reader: In the 1st Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased of old.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: God is our King before the ages: He has wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.

[(60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35] At that time, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put Him to death; * and they delivered Him to Pilate, saying, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!" * Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no crime in Him." * The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die, because He has made Himself the Son of God." * When Pilate heard these words, he was the more afraid; * he entered the praetorium again and said to Jesus, "Where art Thou from?"  But Jesus gave no answer. * Pilate therefore said to Him, "Thou wilt not speak to me?  Dost Thou not know that I have power to release Thee, and power to crucify Thee?" * Jesus answered him, "Thou wouldst have no power over me unless it had been given thee from above." * When Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat at a place called The Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gabbatha. * Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour.  He said to the Jews, "Behold your King!" * They cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!"  Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?"  The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar." * Then he handed Him over to them to be crucified. * So they took Jesus, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Golgotha. * There they crucified Him, and with Him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them. * Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross; it read, "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews." * Many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek. * So the soldiers did this.  But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. * When Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing near, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold, thy son!" * Then He said to the disciple, "Behold, thy mother!"  And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. * After this Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, bowed His head and gave up His spirit. * Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. * So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with Him; * but when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. * But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. * He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 8

Magnify, O my soul, / the most precious Cross of the Lord.

O Theotokos, thou art a mystical Paradise, / who untilled hast brought forth Christ. / He has planted upon earth the life-giving Tree of the Cross: / therefore at its Exaltation on this day, // we worship Him and thee do we magnify.

COMMUNION VERSE

The light of Thy countenance has shone on us, O Lord.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

AFTER THE DISMISSAL
(Not prescribed, but sung at this time in many places.)

Before Thy Cross, / we bow down in worship, O Master, / and Thy holy Resurrection // we glorify.

The hymn sung in place of "It is truly meet..." is from the translation of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Festal Menaion).  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.