OCA Choir Cues for the Nativity, December 25, 2020

Philip Sokolov

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 25
Nativity of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Epistle: (209) Galatians 4:4-7
Gospel: (3) Matthew 2:1-12

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THE FIRST ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; / I
will make all Thy wonders known.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: In the company of the upright, in the congregation, / great are
the works of the Lord.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: They are studied by all / who have pleasure in them.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Verse: His work is glory and beauty, / and His righteousness endures forever.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and
ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

THE SECOND ANTIPHON, Tone 2

Verse: Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, / who greatly delights
in His commandments.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: His descendants will be mighty in the land, / the generation of
the upright will be blessed.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Glory and wealth are in His house, / and His righteousness
endures forever.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Verse: Light rises in the darkness for the upright; / the Lord is
merciful, compassionate and righteous.
Refrain: O Son of God, born of the Virgin, / save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia!

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, / now and
ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God...

THE THIRD ANTIPHON, Tone 4

Verse: The Lord said to my Lord: 'Sit at my right hand!'
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world
the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were
taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to
know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: Until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool!
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world
the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were
taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to
know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: The Lord sends forth from Zion Thy mighty scepter. Rule in the
midst of Thy foes.
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world
the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were
taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to
know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

Verse: Authority shall be with Thee on the day of Thy power, among the
splendor of Thy holy ones!
Troparion: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone to the world
the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the stars, / were
taught by a star to adore Thee, / the Sun of Righteousness, / and to
know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord, glory to Thee!

THE INTROIT OF THE LITTLE ENTRANCE

Out of the womb, before the morning star, have I begotten Thee! The
Lord has sworn and will not change His mind. Thou art a priest
forever after the order of Melchizedek.

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 4: Thy Nativity, O Christ our God, / has shone
to the world the light of wisdom! / For by it those who worshiped the
stars, were taught by a star / to adore Thee, the Sun of
Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Orient from on high. // O Lord,
glory to Thee!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 3: Today the Virgin gives birth / to the
transcendent One, / and the earth offers a cave / to the
unapproachable One! / Angels with shepherds glorify Him! / The wise
men journey with the star! / Since for our sake the eternal God // was
born as a little child.

INSTEAD OF "HOLY GOD..."

As many as have been baptized into Christ / have put on Christ. // Alleluia.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone, a Psalm of David: Let all the
earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise Thy name, O Most
High.
Choir: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise
Thy name, O Most High.
Reader: Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth! Sing of His name!
Give glory to His praise!
Choir: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee, let it praise
Thy name, O Most High.
Reader: Let all the earth worship Thee and praise Thee,
Choir: Let it praise Thy name, O Most High.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(209) Galatians 4:4-7] Brethren: When the time had fully come, God
sent forth His Son, born of woman, born under the law, * to redeem
those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as
sons. * And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son
into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" * So through God you are no
longer a slave but a son, and if a son then an heir of God through
Christ.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 1st Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament
proclaims His handiwork!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge.

[(3) Matthew 2:1-12] When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the
days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to
Jerusalem, saying, * "Where is He Who has been born king of the Jews?
For we have seen His star in the East, and have come to worship Him."
* When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem
with him; * and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the
people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. * They
told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it is written by the prophet:
* 'And thou, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art by no means least
among the rulers of Judah; for from thee shall come a ruler who shall
govern my people Israel.'" * Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly
and ascertained from them what time the star appeared; * and he sent
them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child,
and when ye have found him bring me word, that I too may come and
worship him." * When they had heard the king they went their way; and
lo, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it
came to rest over the place where the child was. * When they saw the
star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy; * and going into the
house they saw the Child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and
worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts,
gold and frankincense and myrrh. * And being warned in a dream not to
return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 1:

Magnify, O my soul, / the Most Pure Virgin Theotokos, // more
honorable and more glorious than the heavenly hosts.

It would be easier for us, because free from all danger, / to keep
silence in fear: / while it is hard indeed, O Virgin, in love / to
devise songs harmoniously put together. / But do thou, O Mother, //
give us strength that so we may fulfill our good intent.

COMMUNION VERSE

The Lord has sent redemption to His people.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Irmos "It would be easier..." is from the translation of Mother
Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Festal Menaion). Scriptures are
according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else
is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary
Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department
of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and
Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar
published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the
assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.