OCA Choir Cues for Nativity of the Theotoks, Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Philip Sokolov

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8
The Nativity of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-virgin Mary.

Epistle: (240) Philippians 2:5-11
Gospel: (54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 2: All Feast (4 from Ode III of Canon I; 4 from Ode VI of Canon II).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Lord, Who hast put sin to death by the wood of the Cross, establish us in Thee and graft Thy fear in our hearts, as we sing Thy praise.

Having lived without reproach before the Lord, the holy parents brought forth the salvation of all, giving birth to her that bore our Creator and our God.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The Lord, Who is a spring of life to all, led forth the Virgin from a barren womb.  Into her he deigned to enter, preserving her virginity inviolate after childbirth.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Today let us exalt the fruit of Anna, Mary, who brought forth the life-giving Cluster: let us sing her praises as Theotokos, Protector and Helper of us all.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Thy wise parents, O Undefiled, brought thee, who art the Holy of Holies, as an offering to the house of the Lord, there to be reared in holiness and made ready to become His Mother.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Let both barren and mothers dance for joy!  Make bold and leap up in gladness, O ye childless!  For the barren and childless woman brings forth the Theotokos, who is to deliver Eve from her pains in travail and Adam from the curse.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

In thee, O Undefiled, is the mystery of the Trinity praised and glorified.  For the Father was well pleased with thee, and in thee the Word made His tabernacle among us, and the Holy Spirit overshadowed thee.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

Thou art become a golden censer, for the Fire made His tabernacle in thy womb, even the Word from the Holy Spirit; and He was seen in the form of a man, O pure Mother of God.

AT THE ENTRANCE

...through the prayers of the Theotokos...

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 4: Thy nativity, O Virgin, / has proclaimed joy to the whole universe. / The Sun of Righteousness, Christ our God, / has shone from thee, O Theotokos. / By annulling the curse / He bestowed a blessing; // by destroying death He has granted us eternal life.

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: By thy nativity, O most pure Virgin, / Joachim and Anna are freed from barrenness; / Adam and Eve, from the corruption of death. / And we, thy people, freed from the guilt of sin, celebrate and sing to thee: // the barren woman bears Theotokos, the Nourisher of our Life.

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone, the Song of the Theotokos: My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Reader: For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden, for behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Reader: My soul magnifies the Lord,
Choir: And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Philippians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(240) Philippians 2:5-11] Brethren: Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, * Who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, * but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. * And being found in human form He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. * Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, * that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, * and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 8th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The rich among the people shall pray before thy face.

[(54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28] At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman named Martha received Him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching. * But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to Him and said, "Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her then to help me." * But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things; * one thing is needful.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her." * As He said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore Thee, and the breasts that Thou hast sucked!" * But He said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 8:

Magnify, O my soul, / the most glorious birth of the Mother of God.

Virginity is alien to motherhood, / and childbearing is a thing strange to virgins: / yet in thee, O Theotokos, both are to be found. / Therefore we and all the nations of the earth // without ceasing call thee blessed.

COMMUNION VERSE

I will receive the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Festal Menaion).  The hymn sung in place of "It is truly meet..." is also from The Festal Menaion.  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.