OCA Choir Cues for Eve of Theophany, Tuesday, January 5, 2020

Philip Sokolov

TUESDAY, JANUARY 5
Eve of Theophany.

Liturgy Readings:
Epistle: (143) 1 Corinthians 9:19-27
Gospel: (9) Luke 3:1-18

Great Blessing of Waters Readings:
Epistle: (143-ctr) 1 Corinthians 10:1-4
Gospel: (2) Mark 1:9-11

READER AND CHOIR CUES

VESPERS WITH THE LITURGY OF ST. BASIL THE GREAT

After the Old Testament readings, the royal doors are opened. The
Little Litany; and after the exclamation ("For holy art Thou...") [and
"O Lord, save the pious..."], the Trisagion. Then:

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone, a Psalm of David: The Lord is
my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is the Defender of my life! Of whom shall I be afraid?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is my Light and my Savior;
Choir: Whom shall I fear?

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(143) 1 Corinthians 9:19-27] Brethren: Though I am free from all men,
I have made myself a slave to all, that I might win the more. * To the
Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I
became as one under the law -- though not being myself under the law
-- that I might win those under the law. * To those outside the law I
became as one outside the law -- not being without law toward God but
under the law of Christ -- that I might win those outside the law. *
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become
all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. * I do it
all for the sake of the Gospel, that I may share in its blessings. *
Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one
receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. * Every athlete
exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a
perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. * Well, I do not run
aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; * but I pommel my body
and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be
disqualified.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: My heart has poured forth a good word; I speak of my works to the king.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Thou art fairer than the sons of men.

[(9) Luke 3:1-18] In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius
Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being
tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of
Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, * in the
high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John
the son of Zachariah in the wilderness; * and he went into all the
region about the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the
forgiveness of sins. * As it is written in the book of the words of
Isaiah the prophet, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
Prepare the way of the Lord, make His paths straight. * Every valley
shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low, and
the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made
smooth; * and all flesh shall see the salvation of God." * He said
therefore to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, "Ye
brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? *
Bear fruits that befit repentance, and do not begin to say to
yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father'; for I tell you, God is
able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. * Even now the
axe is laid to the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does
not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire." * And the
multitudes asked him, "What then shall we do?" * And he answered them,
"He who has two coats, let him share with him who has none; and he who
has food, let him do likewise." * Tax collectors also came to be
baptized, and said to him, "Teacher, what shall we do?" * And he said
to them, "Collect no more than is appointed you." * Soldiers also
asked him, "And we, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Rob no
one by violence or by false accusation, and be content with your
wages." * As the people were in expectation, and all men questioned in
their hearts concerning John, whether perhaps he were the Christ, *
John answered them all, "I baptize you with water; but He Who is
mightier than I is coming, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy
to untie; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. *
His winnowing fork is in His hand, to clear His threshing floor, and
to gather the wheat into His granary, but the chaff He will burn with
unquenchable fire." * So, with many other exhortations, he preached
good news to the people.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", Tone 8:

All of creation / rejoices in thee, O Full of Grace, / the assembly of
angels / and the race of man. / O sanctified temple / and spiritual
paradise, / the glory of virgins, / from whom God was incarnate / and
became a child / our God before the ages. / He made thy body into a
throne, / and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. / All
of creation / rejoices in thee, O Full of Grace. // Glory to thee.

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

GREAT BLESSING OF WATERS

Choir Cues does not provide full rubrics and readings for this service
(cf. STS Rubrics and The Festal Menaion), but we thought it useful to
provide texts for the Epistle and Gospel. After the Old Testament
readings:

EPISTLE

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: The Lord is my Light and my
Savior; whom shall I fear?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is the Defender of my life! Of whom shall I be afraid?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is my Light and my Savior;
Choir: Whom shall I fear?

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(143-ctr) 1 Corinthians 10:1-4] Brethren: I want you to know that our
fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, *
and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, * and
all ate the same spiritual food * and all drank the same spiritual
drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock which followed them,
and the Rock was Christ.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory
thunders; the Lord is upon many waters!

[(2) Mark 1:9-11] At that time, Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee
and was baptized by John in the Jordan. * And when He came up out of
the water, immediately He saw the heavens opened and the Spirit
descending upon Him like a dove; * and a voice came from heaven, "Thou
art My beloved Son; with Thee I am well pleased."

AFTER THE DISMISSAL

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the
Jordan, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest. / For the
voice of the Father bare witness to Thee, / and called Thee His
Beloved Son! / And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, / confirmed the
truthfulness of His word. / O Christ our God, Who hast revealed
Thyself, // and hast enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: Today Thou hast appeared to the universe, /
and Thy light, O Lord, has shone on us, / who with understanding
praise Thee: / Thou hast come and revealed Thyself, // O Light
Unapproachable!

And then the Polychronion.

Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.
Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St.
Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary
Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of
Liturgical Music and Translations.