Topics

OCA Choir Cues for Dormition of the Theotokos, August 15, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

AUGUST 15
The Dormition (Falling-asleep) of Our Most Holy Lady, Theotokos and Ever-virgin Mary.

Epistle: (240) Philippians 2:5-11
Gospel: (54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At All Hours:

Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 1: All Feast (4 from Ode III of Canon I and 4 from Ode VI of Canon II).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

The glorious apostles knew you, O Virgin without spot, to be a mortal woman and at the same time, beyond and above nature, the Mother of God: therefore they touched you with fearful hands, as they gazed upon you shining with glory, the tabernacle that had held God.

The glorious apostles...

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The Lord guarded with the glory of the Godhead the honor due to the living Ark in which the Word took flesh; and in His just vengeance He intervened to cut off the sacrilegious hands of the presumptuous unbeliever.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord guarded...

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Life arose from you without destroying the seals of your virginity. How then could the spotless tabernacle of your body, the source of Life, become a partaker of death?

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Life arose from thee...

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Having become the temple of Life, you have obtained the life eternal: for you who have borne the Life in Person, have now passed over through death into life.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Having become the temple...

TROPARION & KONTAKION

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: In giving birth you preserved your virginity! / In falling asleep you did not forsake the world, O Theotokos! / You were translated to life, O Mother of life, // and by your prayers you deliver our souls from death!

Glory... now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 2: Neither the tomb, nor death, could hold the Theotokos, / who is constant in prayer and our firm hope in her intercessions. / For being the Mother of Life, // she was translated to life by the One Who dwelt in her virginal womb!

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader:The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone, the Song of the Theotokos: My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Reader: For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden; for behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Reader: My soul magnifies the Lord
Choir: And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Philippians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(240) Philippians 2:5-11] Brethren: Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, * Who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, * but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. * And being found in human form He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. * Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, * that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, * and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 2nd Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Arise, O Lord, into Thy resting place, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The Lord has sworn to David a sure oath and will not change His mind.

[(54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28] At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman named Martha received Him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching. * But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to Him and said, "Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." * But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; * one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her." * As He said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore Thee, and the breasts that Thou hast sucked!" * But He said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 1

The angels, as they looked upon the Dormition of the Virgin, / were struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven!

The limits of nature are overcome in you, / O Pure Virgin: / for birthgiving remains virginal / and life is united to death! / A virgin after child-bearing and alive after death! // You ever save your inheritance O Theotokos!

COMMUNION VERSE

I will receive the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Festal Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.