OCA Choir Cues for 8th Sunday after Pentecost, Dormition, August 15, 2021

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, AUGUST 15
8th Sunday after Pentecost.  Tone 7.  THE DORMITION OF OUR MOST HOLY LADY THEOTOKOS AND EVER-VIRGIN MARY.

Epistles:
(124) 1 Corinthians 1:10-18
(240) Philippians 2:5-11 (Theotokos)

Gospels:
(58) Matthew 14:14-22
(54, 58) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28 (Theotokos)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Dormition
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Dormition

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Dormition
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 7: Resurrection--6; Dormition--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Fair to look upon and good for food was the fruit that killed me; / while Christ is the Tree of life.  Eating Thereof I die not / but cry aloud with the thief: // Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Lifted upon the Cross, Thou Who art compassionate, / hast blotted out the handwriting of Adam's sin in days of old, / and Thou hast saved from error all the whole line of mortal men. // Therefore we sing Thy praises, O Benefactor and Lord.

Thou hast nailed our sins upon the Cross, O Christ Who art compassionate, / and by Thy death hast Thou put death to death, / raising the dead from the dead. // Therefore we venerate Thy holy Resurrection.

The serpent once emptied his poison into the ears of Eve; / while Christ on the wood of the Cross poured out the sweetness of life unto the world. // Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

In the tomb wast Thou laid as mortal, / O Christ, the life of all / and Thou hast burst asunder the chains of hell / and risen on the third day in glory as mighty, / Thou hast enlightened all. // Glory to Thy Rising.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord rose from the dead on the third day / and gave His own peace to the disciples. / And he blessed them / and sent them forth saying: // Lead ye all men into my Kingdom.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

The glorious apostles knew thee, O Virgin without spot, / to be a mortal woman and at the same time, beyond and above nature, the Mother of God: / therefore they touched thee with fearful hands, as they gazed upon thee shining with glory, // the tabernacle that had held God.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

The Lord guarded with the glory of the Godhead the honor due to the living Ark / in which the Word took flesh; // and in His just vengeance He intervened to cut off the sacrilegious hands of the presumptuous unbeliever.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

O pure Virgin, sprung from mortal loins, thine end was conformable to nature: / but because thou hast borne the true Life, // thou hast departed to dwell with the divine Life Himself.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

At an all-powerful command, the assembly of the apostles from the ends of the earth, / and the multitude of angels from on high, made haste to Zion, // there to minister in fitting manner at thy burial, O Lady.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 7: By Thy Cross, Thou didst destroy death; / to the thief, Thou didst open Paradise; / for the myrrhbearers, Thou didst change weeping into joy; / and Thou didst command Thy disciples, O Christ God, / to proclaim that Thou art risen, // granting the world great mercy.

Troparion, Dormition, Tone 1: In giving birth, thou didst preserve thy virginity; / in falling asleep, thou didst not forsake the world, O Theotokos. / Thou wast translated to life, O Mother of Life, // and by thy prayers thou dost deliver our souls from death.

Glory...

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 7: The dominion of death can no longer hold men captive, / for Christ descended, shattering and destroying its powers. / Hell is bound, while the prophets rejoice and cry: / The Savior has come to those in faith; // enter, ye faithful, into the Resurrection.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Dormition, Tone 2: Neither the tomb nor death could hold the Theotokos, / who is constant in prayer, / and in whose intercession lies unfailing hope. / For being the Mother of Life, / she was translated to life // by the One Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone, a Psalm of David: The Lord will give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Choir: The Lord will give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Reader: Offer to the Lord, O ye sons of God, offer young rams to the Lord.
Choir: The Lord will give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Reader: In the 3rd Tone, the Song of the Theotokos: My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(124) 1 Corinthians 1:10-18] Brethren: I appeal to you, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. * For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brethren. * What I mean is that each one of you says, "I belong to Paul," or "I belong to Apollos," or "I belong to Cephas," or "I belong to Christ." * Is Christ divided?  Was Paul crucified for you?  Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? * I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius; * lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name. * (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas.  Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.) * For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. * For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

[(240) Philippians 2:5-11] Brethren: Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, * Who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, * but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. * And being found in human form He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. * Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, * that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, * and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: To declare Thy mercy in the morning and Thy truth by night.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 2nd Tone: Arise, O Lord, into Thy resting place, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(58) Matthew 14:14-22] At that time, Jesus saw a great throng; and He had compassion on them, and healed their sick. * When it was evening, the disciples came to Him and said, "This is a lonely place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves." * Jesus said, "They need not go away; give ye them something to eat." * They said to Him, "We have only five loaves here and two fish." * And He said, "Bring them here to Me." * Then He ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass; and taking the five loaves and the two fish He looked up to heaven, and blessed, and broke and gave the loaves to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. * And they all ate and were satisfied.  And they took up twelve baskets full of the broken pieces left over. * And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children. * Then He made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds.

[(54, 58) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28] At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman named Martha received Him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching. * But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to Him and said, "Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her then to help me." * But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things; * one thing is needful.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her." * As He said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore Thee, and the breasts that Thou hast sucked!" * But He said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 1

The angels, as they looked upon the Dormition of the Virgin, were struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven.

In thee, O Virgin without spot / the bounds of nature are overcome: / for childbirth remains virgin and death is betrothed to life. / O Theotokos, Virgin after childbearing and alive after death, // do thou ever save thine inheritance.

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens!  Praise Him in the highest!
I will receive the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!s

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos and The Festal Menaion).  The hymn sung in place of "It is truly meet..." is also from The Festal Menaion.  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.