OCA Choir Cues for 27th Sunday after Pentecost, December 13, 2020

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 13
27th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 2. Sunday of the Forefathers.
Repose of Ven. Herman of Alaska, Wonderworker of All America.

Epistles:
(257) Colossians 3:4-11 (Forefathers)
(210) Galatians 4:8-21 (Venerable One)

Gospels:
(76) Luke 14:16-24 (Forefathers)
(51) Luke 10:16-21 (Venerable One)

NOTE: The texts to St. Herman conform to the new service approved by
the OCA in 2020, as much as has been made available.

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Venerable One
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Venerable One

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forefathers
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Forefathers

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 12, Tone 2: Resurrection--4; Forefathers--4
(from Ode III); Venerable One--4 (from Ode VI).

12. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

We offer Thee the voice of the thief / and cry aloud to Thee: /
Remember us, O Savior // in Thy Kingdom.

11. Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

We bring Thee the Cross / for the forgiveness of offenses. / For us
hast Thou accepted it, // O Lover of mankind.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

We venerate, O Master, / Thy tomb and Thy rising, / through which Thou
hast delivered the world from corruption, // O Lover of mankind.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
they shall be filled.

By Thy death, O Lord, death has been swallowed up, / and by Thy
Resurrection, / O Savior, // has the world been saved.

The zeal of Seth for his Creator is hymned throughout the world, / for
in his blameless life and spiritual love / he was truly pleasing unto
Him, and he now cries out // in the land of the living: Holy art
Thou, O Lord!

The wondrous Enos trusted in the Spirit / and with divine wisdom began
to call upon the God and Master of all / with mouth, tongue and heart;
// and having lived on earth in a God-pleasing manner, he received
glory.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Let us bless Enoch with sacred utterances / for, having been well
pleasing unto the Lord, he was translated in glory, / being shown to
be greater than death, as it has been written, // since he had been a
most earnest servant of God.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Now the Expectation of the nations comes forth from the Virgin, / and
Bethlehem radiantly opens the shut gates of Eden, / receiving the
incarnate Word // Who, in the flesh, was laid in a manger.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, *
and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

To proclaim the glad tidings of the Gospel thou didst travel to the
ends of the world, to a new place, / Spruce Island, which thou didst
call New Valaam, showing thy love for the Valaam of thy homeland; /
and therein thou didst acquire new brethren, the newly-enlightened
people,// through the discourse of thy preaching and thy works of
piety.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

The Lord glorified thy brethren, O venerable one, for their works were
truly like unto the struggles of the apostles: / Juvenal sings in the
choir of the martyrs,/ Joasaph and Innocent, and those with them,
sing in the ranks of hierarchs, // and together we sing unto God:
Glory to Thee Who hast shown us the light!

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Thy works and those of thy fellow evangelists have received their
sanctification and crowning / through the confession and martyr's
blood of Peter the Aleut, at whose mighty faith and endurance thou
didst marvel. / Wherefore, following thee, we cry aloud: // O holy
Newmartyr Peter, pray to God for us!

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Come, ye people, that we may see how the stormy waters which were
about to engulf the island submitted to the meek Herman. / Before the
icon of the Mother of God they humble themselves and withdraw into the
ocean's depths. / And we, who are bestormed by the waves of life, cry
out with the chosen of the Mother of God: // O all-holy Theotokos,
save us!

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend to death, O
Life immortal, / Thou didst slay hell with the splendor of Thy
Godhead; / and when from the depths Thou didst raise the dead, / all
the powers of heaven cried out: // O Giver of Life, Christ our God,
glory to Thee!

Troparion, Forefathers, Tone 2: Through faith Thou didst justify the
Forefathers, / betrothing through them the Church of the gentiles. /
These saints exult in glory, / for from their seed came forth a
glorious fruit: / She who bore Thee without seed. // So by their
prayers, O Christ God, have mercy on us!

Troparion, Venerable One, Tone 7: O joyful North Star of the Church of
Christ, / guiding all men to the heavenly kingdom, / teacher and
apostle of the true faith; / intercessor and defender for the
oppressed, / adornment of the Orthodox Church in America: / blessed
father Herman of Alaska, / pray to our Lord Jesus Christ // for the
salvation of our souls!

OR

Troparion, Venerable One, Tone 4: O blessed Father Herman of Alaska, /
North Star of Christ's holy Church, / the light of thy holy life and
great deeds / guides those who follow the Orthodox way. / Together we
lift high the Holy Cross / thou didst plant firmly in America. / Let
all behold and glorify Jesus Christ, // singing His Holy Resurrection.

Glory...

Kontakion, Venerable One, Tone 3: The eternal light of Christ our
Savior / guided thee, O blessed father Herman, / on thine evangelical
journey to America / to proclaim the Gospel of peace. / Now thou
standest before the throne of glory: / beseech God for thy land and
its people, / asking peace for the world // and salvation for our
souls.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Forefathers, Tone 6: Ye did not worship the graven image, /
O thrice-blessed ones, / but armed with the immaterial Essence of God,
/ ye were glorified in a trial by fire. / From the midst of unbearable
flames / ye called on God, crying: / Hasten, O compassionate One! /
Speedily come to our aid, / for Thou art merciful and able to do as
Thou willest.

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone, the Song of the Fathers:
Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and glorified
is Thy name forever!
Choir: Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and
glorified is Thy name forever!
Reader: For Thou art just in all that Thou hast done for us!
Choir: Blessed art Thou O Lord God of our Fathers and praised and
glorified is Thy name forever!
Reader: In the 3rd Tone: All kings shall fall down before Him all
nations shall serve Him.
Choir: All kings shall fall down before Him all nations shall serve Him.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Colossians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(257) Colossians 3:4-11] Brethren: When Christ Who is our life
appears, then you also shall appear with Him in glory. * Put to death
therefore what is earthly in you: fornication, impurity, passion, evil
desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. * On account of these the
wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience. * In these you
once walked, when you lived in them. * But now put them all away:
anger, wrath, malice, slander, and foul talk from your mouth. * Do not
lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old nature with
its practices * and have put on the new nature, which is being renewed
in knowledge after the image of its creator. * Here there cannot be
Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian,
slave, free man, but Christ is all, and in all.

[(210) Galatians 4:8-21] Brethren: Formerly, when you did not know
God, you were in bondage to beings that by nature are no gods; * but
now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how
can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits,
whose slaves you want to be once more? * You observe days, and months,
and seasons, and years! * I am afraid I have labored over you in vain.
* Brethren, I beseech you, become as I am, for I also have become as
you are. You did me no wrong; * you know it was because of a bodily
ailment that I preached the gospel to you at first; * and though my
condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but
received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. * What has become of
the satisfaction you felt? For I bear you witness that, if possible,
you would have plucked out your eyes and given them to me. * Have I
then become your enemy by telling you the truth? * They make much of
you, but for no good purpose; they want to shut you out, that you may
make much of them. * For a good purpose it is always good to be made
much of, and not only when I am present with you. * My little
children, with whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in
you! * I could wish to be present with you now and to change my tone,
for I am perplexed about you. * Tell me, you who desire to be under
law, do you not hear the law?

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Moses and Aaron were among His
priests; Samuel also was among those who called on His name.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: They called to the Lord and He answered them.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 1st Tone: Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will
teach you the fear of the Lord.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(76) Luke 14:16-24] The Lord said this parable: "A man once gave a
great banquet, and invited many; * and at the time for the banquet he
sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, 'Come; for all
is now ready.' * But they all alike began to make excuses. The first
said to him, 'I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it; I
pray thee, have me excused.' * And another said, 'I have bought five
yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them; I pray thee, have me excused.'
* And another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot
come.' * So the servant came and reported this to his master. Then
the householder in anger said to his servant, 'Go out quickly to the
streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and maimed and
blind and lame.' * And the servant said, 'Sir, what thou hast
commanded has been done, and still there is room.' * And the master
said to the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedges, and compel
people to come in, that my house may be filled. * For I tell you, none
of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.' * For many are
called, but few are chosen."

[(51) Luke 10:16-21] The Lord said to His disciples: "He who hears you
hears Me, and he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me
rejects Him Who sent Me." * The seventy returned with joy, saying,
"Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Thy name!" * And He said
to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. * Behold, I
have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and
over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall hurt you. *
Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to
you; but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." * In that
same hour He rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I thank Thee,
Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou hast hidden these things
from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea,
Father, for so it was well-pleasing before Thee."

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
He turned a desert into pools of water, and a waterless land into
streams of water.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother
Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The December
Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard
Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by
St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's
Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the
Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the
2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery
Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.