OCA Choir Cues for 26th Sunday after Pentecost, December 6, 2020

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6
26th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 1. St. Nicholas, archbishop of
Myra in Lycia, the wonderworker.

Epistles:
(229) Ephesians 5:9-19
(335) Hebrews 13:17-21 (Saint)

Gospels:
(85) Luke 17:12-19 (27th Sunday)
(24) Luke 6:17-23 (Saint)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

HOURS

At the Third Hour

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Saint
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Saint
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Saint

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 1: Resurrection--6; Saint--4 (From Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Through food, the enemy led Adam out of Paradise; / and through the
Cross Christ led the thief back into it crying: // 'Remember me, O
Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
they shall be filled.

I venerate Thy sufferings and glorify Thy Resurrection. / With Adam
and with the thief I raise a shining cry to Thee: // Remember me, O
Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.

Without sin, hast Thou been crucified, and of Thine own will hast Thou
been laid in the tomb. / But Thou as God hast risen raising Adam with
Thyself, crying: // 'Remember me, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

On the third day, O Christ our God, Thou hast raised from the tomb the
temple of Thy body / raising with Thyself Adam and those descending
from him, crying: // 'Remember me when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The women bearing myrrh came early in the morning lamenting to Thy
tomb, O Christ our God, / and they found there an angel in shining
white seated and crying: // 'What do ye seek? Christ is risen, weep
no more.'

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O Lord, Thine apostles as Thou hast ordered them were beside Thee on
the Mountain / and seeing Thee, O Savior, they worshiped // and Thou
has sent them forth to teach and to baptize the nations.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, *
and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O blessed Nicholas, as thou art the true disciple of the Master, /
thou savest those who have recourse to thee // from grievous
misfortunes and bitter death.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Cleanse Thy servants, granting them remission of sins, / in that Thou
art good, through the mediations before Thee // of Nicholas, Thy
favorite, O greatly Merciful One.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Having acquired in thy heart tablets inscribed with many virtues / by
the immortal and all-pure finger of Christ God, O Nicholas, //
sweetness greater than that of honey or the honey-comb pours forth
from thy lips.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O Theotokos, thou givest thy servants hope of salvation. / Stand forth
in thy speedy supplications to preserve and help us amid wants and
perils, // for thou art the boast of us, the faithful, O Ever-virgin.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by the
Jews, / while the soldiers were guarding Thy most pure body, / Thou
didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life to the world. /
The powers of heaven therefore cried to Thee, O Giver of Life: /
'Glory to Thy resurrection O Christ! / Glory to Thy kingdom. // Glory
to Thy dispensation, O Thou Who lovest mankind!'

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos)]

Troparion, Saint, Tone 4: A rule of faith and a model of meekness, / a
teacher of abstinence, / thou wast revealed to thy flock / by the
truth of things. / Wherefore, thou didst acquire exalted things by
humility / and riches by poverty. / O holy hierarch, father Nicholas,
/ entreat Christ God, // that our souls be saved.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the tomb
in glory, / raising the world with Thyself. / Human nature praises
Thee as God, for death has vanished; / Adam exults, O Master; / Eve
rejoices, for she is freed from bondage, and cries to Thee: // 'Thou
art the Giver of Resurrection to all, O Christ.'

Glory...

Kontakion, Saint, Tone 3: In Myra thou wast shown to be a performer of
the sacred mysteries, O holy one, / for, fulfilling the Gospel of
Christ, O venerable one, / thou didst lay down thy life for thy
people, / and didst save the innocent from death. / Wherefore, thou
hast been sanctified // as a great initiate of the grace of God.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, /
constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us
sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on
you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O
Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone, a Psalm of David: Let Thy
mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise befits the just.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: In the 7th Tone: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and
shall hope in Him.
Choir: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Ephesians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(229) Ephesians 5:9-19] Brethren: Walk as children of light (for the
fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), * and
try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. * Take no part in the
unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. * For it is a
shame even to speak of the things that they do in secret; * but when
anything is exposed by the light it becomes visible, for anything that
becomes visible is light. * Therefore it is said, "Awake, O sleeper,
and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light." * Look
carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, * making
the most of the time, because the days are evil. * Therefore do not be
foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. * And do not get
drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the
Spirit, * addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual
songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart.

[(335) Hebrews 13:17-21] Brethren: Obey your leaders and submit to
them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who shall
have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for
that would be of no advantage to you. * Pray for us, for we are sure
that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all
things. * I urge you the more earnestly to do this in order that I may
be restored to you the sooner. * Now may the God of peace who brought
again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant, * equip you with everything good
that you may do his will, working in you that which is pleasing in his
sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 1st Tone: God gives vengeance to me, and
subdues people under me!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: He magnifies the salvation of the King and deals mercifully
with David, His anointed, and his seed forever.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 2nd Tone: Thy priests shall be clothed with
righteousness and Thy saints shall rejoice!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(85) Luke 17:12-19] At that time, as Jesus entered a village, He was
met by ten lepers, who stood at a distance * and lifted up their
voices and said, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us." * When He saw them
He said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they
went they were cleansed. * Then one of them, when he saw that he was
healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice; * and he fell on
his face at Jesus' feet, giving Him thanks. Now he was a Samaritan. *
Then said Jesus, "Were not ten cleansed? Where are the nine? * Was no
one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" *
And He said to him, "Rise and go thy way; thy faith has made thee
well."

[(24) Luke 6:17-23] At that time, Jesus stood on a level place, with a
great crowd of His disciples and a great multitude of people from all
Judea and Jerusalem and the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to
hear Him and to be healed of their diseases; * and those who were
troubled with unclean spirits were cured. * And all the crowd sought
to touch Him, for power came forth from Him and healed them all. * And
He lifted up His eyes on His disciples, and said: "Blessed are you
poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. * Blessed are you that hunger
now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you that weep now, for
you shall laugh. * Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they
exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account
of the Son of man! * Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for
behold, your reward is great in heaven."

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear
evil tidings.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Mother Mary
(The Sunday Octoechos). Scriptures are according to the approved
Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts
as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St.
Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and
the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow
the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's
Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor
Zajler.