Topics

OCA Choir Cues for 15th Sunday after Pentecost, September 20, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
15th Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday after the Exaltation. Tone 6. Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross. Greatmartyr Eustace and his family.

Epistles:
(203) Galatians 2:16-20 (Sunday After)
(176) 2 Corinthians 4:6-15
(233) Ephesians 6:10-17 (Greatmartyr)

Gospels:
(37) Mark 8:34-9:1 (Sunday After)
(92) Matthew 22:35-46
(106) Luke 21:12-19 (Greatmartyr)

NOTE: If all three readings are read, the second is read "without preamble" (i.e., without "Brethren" or "The Lord said...").

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Martyrs
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 12, Tone 6: Resurrection--4; Feast--4 (from Ode VIII); Greatmartyr--4 (from Ode VI).

12. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Remember me, my God and Savior, / when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom // and save me as Thou alone lovest mankind.

11. Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

Through the wood of the Cross Thou hast saved again Adam who was beguiled by the tree / and the thief as he cried aloud: // Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

O Giver of life, having broken the gates and chains of hell, / Thou, O Savior, hast made all men rise crying aloud: // Glory to Thy Resurrection.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Do Thou Who hast by Thy burial and Thy Resurrection / despoiled death, and filled all things with joy, // remember me as Thou art compassionate.

At the exaltation of the Wood that is sprinkled with the blood of the incarnate Word of God, / sing praises, ye powers of heaven, feasting the restoration of mortal men. // Ye people, venerate the Cross of Christ, whereby resurrection has been granted to the world unto all ages.

[repeat] At the exaltation of the Wood that is sprinkled with the blood of the incarnate Word of God, / sing praises, ye powers of heaven, feasting the restoration of mortal men. // Ye people, venerate the Cross of Christ, whereby resurrection has been granted to the world unto all ages.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Ye earthly dispensers of grace, reverently exalt with your hands the Cross on which hung Christ our God, / and the lance that pierced the body of God the Word. // Let all the nations see the salvation of God and glorify Him unto all ages.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Ye faithful Christian kings, forechosen by divine decree, rejoice. / Receiving from God the Precious Cross, make this victorious weapon your glory, // for by it the tribes of the enemy that rashly seek battle are scattered unto all ages.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

You desired Christ Who had appeared to you, O glorious one, / and united yourself to Him with love; // for you were shown to be adorned, clad in the purple robe of your blood.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

[repeat] You desired Christ Who had appeared to you, O glorious one, / and united yourself to Him with love; // for you were shown to be adorned, clad in the purple robe of your blood.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

You made haste to follow the divine steps of Christ; / and, crowned with all your household, O martyr, // you were shown to share most perfectly in His sufferings and kingdom.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Using now the words of Gabriel, O most immaculate Virgin, / we cry out: Rejoice, O only blessed Mother! // Rejoice, O you who had within you the Sun of righteousness!

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 6: The angelic powers were at Thy tomb; / the guards became as dead men. / Mary stood by Thy grave, / seeking Thy most pure body. / Thou didst capture hell, not being tempted by it. / Thou didst come to the Virgin, granting life. / O Lord Who didst rise from the dead, // glory to Thee!

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries; / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s))]

Troparion, Martyrs, Tone 4: Thy martyrs, O Lord, / through their sufferings, have received incorruptible crowns from Thee, our God, / for, having Thy strength, / they laid low their adversaries / and shattered the powerless boldness of demons. / Through their intercessions, // save our souls.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 6: When Christ God, the Giver of Life, / raised all of the dead from the valleys of misery with His mighty hand, / He bestowed resurrection on the human race; // He is the Savior of all, the Resurrection, the Life, and the God of all.

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Greatmartyr, Tone 2: Having openly imitated the Passion of Christ, / and having eagerly drunk of His cup, O Eustace, / you became a partaker and fellow-heir of His glory, // receiving divine forgiveness from on high from the God of all.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 4: As Thou wast voluntarily crucified for our sake, / grant mercy to those who are called by Thy name; / make all Orthodox Christians glad by Thy power, / granting them victories over their adversaries, // by bestowing on them the invincible trophy, Thy weapon of peace.

The Trisagion is sung.

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone, a Psalm of David: Extol the Lord our God, worship at His footstool for He is holy.
Choir: Extol the Lord our God, worship at His footstool for He is holy.
Reader: The Lord reigns; let the peoples tremble!
Choir: Extol the Lord our God, worship at His footstool for He is holy.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: As for the saints in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.
Choir: As for the saints in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(203) Galatians 2:16-20] Brethren: Knowing that a man is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ, and not by works of the law, because by works of the law shall no one be justified. * But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we ourselves were found to be sinners, is Christ then an agent of sin? Certainly not! * But if I build up again those things which I tore down, then I prove myself a transgressor. * For I through the law died to the law, that I might live to God. * I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ Who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.

[(176) 2 Corinthians 4:6-15] Brethren: It is the God Who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," Who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. * But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us. * We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; * persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; * always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. * For while we live we are always being given up to death for Jesus's sake, so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh. * So death is at work in us, but life in you. * Since we have the same spirit of faith as he had who wrote, "I believed, and so I spoke," we too believe, and so we speak, * knowing that He Who raised the Lord Jesus shall raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into His presence. * For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

[(233) Ephesians 6:10-17] Brethren: Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. * Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. * For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. * Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. * Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, * and having shod your feet with the equipment of the Gospel of peace; * besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one. * And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 1st Tone: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased of old.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: God is our King before the ages: He has wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous cried and the Lord heard them, and He delivered them from all their troubles.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(37) Mark 8:34-9:1] The Lord said: "If any man would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. * For whoever would save his life shall lose it; and whoever loses his life for My sake and the Gospel's shall save it. * For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? * For what can a man give in return for his life? * For whoever is ashamed of Me and of My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him shall the Son of Man also be ashamed, when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels." * And He said to them, "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power."

[(92) Matthew 22:35-46] At that time, one of the Pharisees, a lawyer, asked Jesus a question, to test Him. * "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" * And He said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. * This is the great and first commandment. * And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. * On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." * Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question, * saying, "What do you think of the Christ? Whose Son is He?" They said to Him, "The Son of David." * He said to them, "How is it then that David in the Spirit calls Him Lord, saying, * 'The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool'? * If David thus calls Him Lord, how is He his son?" * And no one was able to answer Him a word, nor from that day did any one dare to ask Him any more questions.

[(106) Luke 21:12-19] The Lord said to His disciples: "Beware of men. * They shall lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you shall be brought before kings and governors for My name's sake. * This shall be a time for you to bear testimony. * Settle it therefore in your minds, not to meditate beforehand how to answer; * for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries shall be able to withstand or contradict. * You shall be delivered up even by parents and brothers and kinsmen and friends, and some of you they shall put to death; * you shall be hated by all for My name's sake. * But not a hair of your head shall perish. * By your endurance you shall gain your lives."

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 8

Magnify, O my soul, the most precious Cross of the Lord.

You are the mystical Paradise, O Theotokos, / in which Christ blossomed; / through Him the life-bearing Wood of the Cross was planted on earth. / Now at its Elevation, / as we bow in worship before it, // we magnify you.

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous; praise befits the just.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

AFTER THE DISMISSAL
(Not prescribed, but sung at this time in many places.)

Before Thy Cross, / we bow down in worship, O Master, / and Thy holy Resurrection // we glorify.

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos; The Festal Menaion) and Isaac Lambertsen (The September Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.