Topics

OCA Choir Cues for 13th Sunday after Pentecost, September 6, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
13th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 4. Commemoration of the miracle of the Archangel Michael, at Chonae (Colossae).

Epistles:
(166) 1 Corinthians 16:13-24
(305) Hebrews 2:2-10 (Archangel)

Gospels:
(87) Matthew 21:33-42
(51) Luke 10:16-21 (Archangel)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Archangel
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 4: Resurrection--6; Archangel--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Through a tree, Adam was deprived of his home in Paradise; / while through the wood of the Cross, the thief went there to dwell. / For the one by tasting set aside the commandment of the Maker, / while the other, crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God crying aloud: // Remember me, in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Lifted upon the Cross, / Thou O Lord as God, / hast both destroyed the power of death / and blotted out the handwriting against us. / Do Thou Who alone lovest mankind, / grant us the repentance of the thief / as we serve Thee with faith, O Christ our God, / and cry to Thee: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

Thou hast torn to pieces on the Cross, the handwriting against us / and counted among the dead, Thou hast bound yonder tyrant, / delivering all from the bonds of hell / by Thy Resurrection. / Through it we have been enlightened and cry aloud to Thee, / Lord Who lovest mankind: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

Crucified and rising from the tomb in power on the third day, / with Thyself hast Thou, only Immortal, / raised Adam, the first-formed man. / Make me also worthy, O Lord, / to turn to repentance from my whole heart / and with warm faith ever to cry to Thee: // Remember me, O Savior, in Thy Kingdom.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

For our sake He Who is without passion, / became a suffering man / and nailed upon the Cross of His own will, / He raised us with Himself. / Therefore with the Cross we glorify / the Passion and the Resurrection / through which we have both been made anew / and through which we have been saved, crying: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Let us entreat with faith / Him rising from the dead / despoiling the power of hell, / Who was seen by the women bearing myrrh and said to them: Rejoice!, / for our souls always to be delivered from corruption, / crying at all times to Him with the gracious voice of the thief: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

With divine might you encircle all the earth, / O most praised chief among the angels, // rescuing from the cruel enemy us who call upon your divine name.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

O supreme commander of God, / of aspect most divine, / you have been a divine herald, / an undaunted intercessor for the faithful, // a guide to those who are astray and an instructor.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

You were a most pure mirror of the splendor of God, / radiantly reflecting the manifestation / of the honored Spirit, / O right wondrous Michael, // first among the angels.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

He Who by His own will / wrought the immaterial intelligences / made His abode within your divine womb / as was His desire, O all-immaculate one. // The Unseeable is seen in the flesh.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 4: When the women disciples of the Lord learned from the angel / the joyous message of Thy Resurrection; / they cast away the ancestral curse / and elatedly told the apostles: / death is overthrown! / Christ God is Risen, // granting the world great mercy.

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s)]

Troparion, Archangel, Tone 4: O commander of the heavenly hosts, / we who are unworthy beseech you, / by your prayers encompass us beneath the wings of your immaterial glory, / and faithfully preserve us who fall down and cry out to you: // Deliver us from all harm, for you are the commander of the powers on high.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 4: My Savior and Redeemer / as God rose from the tomb and delivered the earthborn from their chains. / He has shattered the gates of hell, / and as Master, // He has Risen on the third day!

[Kontakion, Church (if of Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Archangel, Tone 2: O commander of God's armies / and minister of the divine glory, / prince of the bodiless angels and guide of men; / ask for that which is good for us and for great mercy, // as supreme commander of the bodiless hosts.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone, a Psalm of David: O Lord, how manifold are Thy works; in wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Choir: O Lord, how manifold are Thy works; in wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul! O Lord my God, Thou art very great!
Choir: O Lord, how manifold are Thy works; in wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader: In the same tone: He makes His angels spirits and His ministers a flame of fire.
Choir: He makes His angels spirits and His ministers a flame of fire.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(166) 1 Corinthians 16:13-24] Brethren: Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. * Let all that you do be done in love. * Now, brethren, you know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints; * I urge you to be subject to such men and to every fellow worker and laborer. * I rejoice at the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus, because they have made up for your absence; * for they refreshed my spirit as well as yours. Give recognition to such men. * The churches of Asia send greetings. Aquila and Prisca, together with the church in their house, send you hearty greetings in the Lord. * All the brethren send greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss. * I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. * If any one has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Maranatha! Our Lord, come! * The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. * My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

[(305) Hebrews 2:2-10] Brethren: If the message declared by angels was valid and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, * how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard Him, * while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to His own will. * For it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking. * It has been testified somewhere, "What is man that Thou art mindful of him, or the Son of Man, that Thou carest for Him? * Thou didst make Him for a little while lower than the angels, Thou hast crowned Him with glory and honor, and didst set Him over the works of Thy hands, * putting everything in subjection under His feet." Now in putting everything in subjection to Him, He left nothing outside His control. As it is, we do not yet see everything in subjection to Him. * But we see Jesus, Who for a little while was made lower than the angels, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for every one. * For it was fitting that He, for Whom and by Whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through suffering.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Go forth, prosper and reign, for the sake of meekness, righteousness and truth.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: For Thou lovest righteousness, and dost hate iniquity.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 5th Tone: Praise Him, all His angels, praise Him, all His host!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(87) Matthew 21:33-42] The Lord said this parable: "There was a householder who planted a vineyard, and set a hedge around it, and dug a wine press in it, and built a tower, and let it out to tenants, and went into another country. * When the season of fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants, to get his fruit; * and the tenants took his servants and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. * Again he sent other servants, more than the first; and they did the same to them. * Afterward he sent his son to them, saying, 'They will respect my son.' * But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, 'This is the heir; come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.' * And they took him and cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. * When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?" * They said to him, "He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and let out the vineyard to other tenants who shall give him the fruits in their seasons." * Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the scriptures: 'The very stone which the builders rejected has become the head of the corner; this was the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes'?"

[(51) Luke 10:16-21] The Lord said to His disciples, "He who hears you hears Me, and he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him Who sent Me." * The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Thy name!" * And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. * Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall hurt you. * Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you; but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." * In that same hour He rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I thank Thee, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea, Father, for so it was well-pleasing before Thee."

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
He makes His angels spirits, and His ministers a flame of fire.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The September Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.