Topics

OCA Choir Cues for 11th Sunday after Pentecost, August 23, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 23
11th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 2. Leavetaking of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos.

Epistles:
(141) 1 Corinthians 9:2-12
(240) Philippians 2:5-11 (Theotokos)

Gospels:
(77) Matthew 18:23-35
(54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28 (Theotokos)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Feast

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 2: Resurrection--6; Feast--4 (from Ode IX).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

We offer Thee the voice of the thief / and cry aloud to Thee: / Remember us, O Savior // in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

We bring Thee the Cross / for the forgiveness of offenses. / For us hast Thou accepted it, // O Lover of mankind.

We venerate, O Master, / Thy tomb and Thy rising, / through which Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, // O Lover of mankind.

By Thy death, O Lord, death has been swallowed up, / and by Thy Resurrection, / O Savior, // has the world been saved.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Risen from the tomb / Thou hast met the women bearing myrrh / and told the disciples // to proclaim Thy Rising.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Those sleeping in darkness / have seen Thee, the Light, / and they have risen // out of the nethermost parts of hell, O Christ.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

The angelic powers were amazed as they looked in Zion / upon their own Master, bearing in His hands the soul of a woman: / for as befitted a Son, He said to her who without spot had borne Him: // "Come, honored among women, and be honored together with your Son and God."

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Standing round your body that had held God, / the choir of the apostles looked upon it with awe and saluted it, saying with clear voice: / "As you depart to the heavenly mansions unto your Son, // do you ever save your inheritance."

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

O come to Zion, the divine and fertile mountain of the living God, / and let us rejoice as we gaze upon the Theotokos. / For Christ translates her, as His own Mother, // into a dwelling far better and more divine, the Holy of Holies.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O Mother of the living God, accept from us this burial hymn, / and cover us with the shadow of your light-giving and divine grace. / Grant victory to our rulers, peace to the people that loves Christ, // and to us who sing, remission of our sins and salvation of soul.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend to death, O Life immortal, / Thou didst slay hell with the splendor of Thy Godhead; / and when from the depths Thou didst raise the dead, / all the powers of heaven cried out: // O Giver of Life, Christ our God, glory to Thee!

Troparion, Feast, Tone 1: In giving birth you preserved your virginity! / In falling asleep you did not forsake the world, O Theotokos! / You were translated to life, O Mother of life, // and by your prayers you deliver our souls from death!

Glory...

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 2: Hell became afraid, O almighty Savior, / seeing the miracle of Thy resurrection from the tomb; / the dead arose. Creation, with Adam, beheld this and rejoiced with Thee, // and the world, O my Savior, praises Thee forever.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 2: Neither the tomb, nor death, could hold the Theotokos, / who is constant in prayer and our firm hope in her intercessions. / For being the Mother of Life, // she was translated to life by the One Who dwelt in her virginal womb!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 2nd Tone, a Psalm of David: The Lord is my strength and my song, He has become my salvation.
Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, He has become my salvation.
Reader: The Lord has chastened me sorely, but He has not given me over to death.
Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, He has become my salvation.
Reader: In the 3rd Tone, the Song of the Theotokos: My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Choir: My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(141) 1 Corinthians 9:2-12] Brethren: You are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. * This is my defense to those who would examine me. * Do we not have the right to our food and drink? * Do we not have the right to be accompanied by a wife, as the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? * Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living? * Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Who tends a flock without getting some of the milk? * Do I say this on human authority? Does not the law say the same? * For it is written in the law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain." Is it for oxen that God is concerned? * Does He not speak entirely for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of a share in the crop. * If we have sown spiritual good among you, is it too much if we reap your material benefits? * If others share this rightful claim upon you, do not we still more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the Gospel of Christ.

[(240) Philippians 2:5-11] Brethren: Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, * Who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, * but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. * And being found in human form He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. * Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, * that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, * and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 2nd Tone: May the Lord hear you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Save the King, O Lord, and hear us on the day we call upon Thee!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the same tone: Arise, O Lord, into Thy resting place, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(77) Matthew 18:23-35] The Lord said this parable: "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. * When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; * and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. * So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' * And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. * But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, 'Pay what you owe.' * So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' * He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. * When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. * Then his lord summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; * and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' * And in anger his lord delivered him to the torturers, till he should pay all his debt. * So also My heavenly Father shall do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

[(54) Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28] At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman named Martha received Him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching. * But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to Him and said, "Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." * But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; * one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her." * As He said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore Thee, and the breasts that Thou hast sucked!" * But He said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 1

The angels, as they looked upon the Dormition of the Virgin, / were struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven!

The limits of nature are overcome in you, / O Pure Virgin: / for birthgiving remains virginal / and life is united to death! / A virgin after child-bearing and alive after death! // You ever save your inheritance O Theotokos!

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
I will receive the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos, The Festal Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.