OCA Choir Cues for 10th Sunday after Pentecost, August 29, 2021

Philip Sokolov

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29
10th Sunday after Pentecost.  Tone 1.  Beheading of the glorious Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of the Lord John.  Fast day.

Epistles:
(131) 1 Corinthians 4:9-16
(33) Acts 13:25-33 (Forerunner)

Gospels:
(72) Matthew 17:14-23
(24) Mark 6:14-30 (Forerunner)

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forerunner
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forerunner
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Forerunner

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 1: Resurrection--6; Forerunner--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Through food, the enemy led Adam out of Paradise; / and through the Cross Christ led the thief back into it crying: // 'Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

I venerate Thy sufferings and glorify Thy Resurrection. / With Adam and with the thief I raise a shining cry to Thee: // Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.

Without sin, hast Thou been crucified, and of Thine own will hast Thou been laid in the tomb. / But Thou as God hast risen raising Adam with Thyself, crying: // 'Remember me, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

On the third day, O Christ our God, Thou hast raised from the tomb the temple of Thy body / raising with Thyself Adam and those descending from him, crying: // 'Remember me when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The women bearing myrrh came early in the morning lamenting to Thy tomb, O Christ our God, / and they found there an angel in shining white seated and crying: // 'What do ye seek?  Christ is risen, weep no more.'

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O Lord, Thine apostles as Thou hast ordered them were beside Thee on the Mountain / and seeing Thee, O Savior, they worshiped // and Thou has sent them forth to teach and to baptize the nations.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

As mediator standing between the old and the new covenant of the Gospel preachings, / thou didst denounce the iniquitous union of the tyrant, // and, rejoicing, didst accept a glorious death.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Instructed beforehand by her iniquitous mother, / the girl said unto Herod, who was befuddled with drunkenness: // "Give me the head of John on a platter, that I may present to my mother the gift she desires!"

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

"None greater than John has arisen among those born of women" cried Christ the Truth; / for in the womb the created being recognized the One Who had created him, // and proclaimed Him with his mother's voice.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

As God, O Only-begotten One, thou didst abase Thyself, that Thou mayest save / those whom Thou hadst created, for whose sake Thou becamest man, incarnate of the Virgin; // and transforming my whole nature, Thou hast brought it to Thy Father.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by the Jews, / while the soldiers were guarding Thy most pure body, / Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life to the world. / The powers of heaven therefore cried to Thee, O Giver of Life: / 'Glory to Thy resurrection O Christ! / Glory to Thy kingdom. // Glory to Thy dispensation, O Thou Who lovest mankind!'

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos)]

Troparion, Forerunner, Tone 2: The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise, / but the Lord's testimony is sufficient for thee, O Forerunner. / Thou wast shown in truth to be the most honorable of the prophets, / for thou wast deemed worthy to baptize in the streams of the Jordan Him Whom they foretold. / Therefore, having suffered for the truth with joy, / thou didst proclaim to those in hell God Who appeared in the flesh, // Who takes away the sin of the world, and grants us great mercy.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the tomb in glory, / raising the world with Thyself. / Human nature praises Thee as God, for death has vanished; / Adam exults, O Master; / Eve rejoices, for she is freed from bondage, and cries to Thee: // 'Thou art the Giver of Resurrection to all, O Christ.'

Glory...

Kontakion, Forerunner, Tone 5: The glorious beheading of the forerunner / became an act of divine dispensation, / for he preached to those in hell the coming of the Savior. / Let Herodias lament, for she entreated lawless murdur, / loving not the law of God, nor eternal life, // but that which is false and temporal.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos).  If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast Protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator, / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in thy goodness come speedily to help us who call on thee in faith: / hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for thou dost ever protect those who honor thee.

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to thy spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone, a Psalm of David: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise befits the just.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: In the 7th Tone: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Choir: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(131) 1 Corinthians 4:9-16] Brethren: I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels and to men. * We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ.  We are weak, but you are strong.  You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. * To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are ill-clad and buffeted and homeless, * and we labor, working with our own hands.  When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; * when slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become, and are now, as the refuse of the world, the offscouring of all things. * I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. * For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers.  For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. * I urge you, then, be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

[(33) Acts 13:25-33] In those days, as John was finishing his course, he said, "What do you suppose that I am?  I am not He.  No, but after me One is coming, the sandals of Whose feet I am not worthy to untie." * Brethren, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you that fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation. * For those who live in Jerusalem and their rulers, because they did not recognize Him nor understand the utterances of the prophets which are read every sabbath, fulfilled these by condemning Him. * Though they could charge Him with nothing deserving death, yet they asked Pilate to have Him killed. * And when they had fulfilled all that was written of Him, they took Him down from the tree, and laid Him in a tomb. * But God raised Him from the dead; * and for many days He appeared to those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now His witnesses to the people. * And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers, * this He has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus.

Priest: Peace be unto thee, Reader.
Reader: And to thy spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 1st Tone: God gives vengeance to me, and subdues people under me!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: He magnifies the salvation of the King and deals mercifully with David, His anointed, and his seed forever.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, and shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(72) Matthew 17:14-23] At that time, a man came up to Jesus and kneeling before Him said, * "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly; for often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. * And I brought him to Thy disciples, and they could not heal him." * And Jesus answered, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long am I to be with you?  How long am I to bear with you?  Bring him here to me." * And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly. * Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" * He said to them, "Because of your little faith.  For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you. * But this kind never comes out except by prayer and fasting." * As they abode in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men, * and they shall kill Him, and He shall be raised on the third day."

[(24) Mark 6:14-30] At that time, King Herod heard of Jesus; for His name had become known.  He said, "John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; that is why these powers are at work in him." * But others said, "It is Elijah."  And others said, "It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old." * But when Herod heard of it he said, "John, whom I beheaded, has been raised." * For Herod had sent and seized John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife; because he had married her. * For John said to Herod, "It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife." * And Herodias had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him.  But she could not, * for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe.  When he heard him, he was much perplexed; and yet he heard him gladly. * But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and the leading men of Galilee. * For when Herodias' daughter came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever thou dost wish, and I will grant it." * And he vowed to her, "Whatever thou shalt ask me, I will give thee, even half of my kingdom." * And she went out, and said to her mother, "What shall I ask?"  And she said, "The head of John the baptizer." * And she came in immediately with haste to the king, and asked, saying, "I want thee to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter." * And the king was exceedingly sorry; but because of his oaths and his guests he did not want to break his word to her. * And immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard and gave orders to bring his head.  He went and beheaded him in the prison, * and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl; and the girl gave it to her mother. * When his disciples heard of it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb. * The apostles returned to Jesus, and told Him all that they had done and taught.

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens!  Praise Him in the highest!
The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear evil tidings.
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion).  Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version.  Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations.  Rubrics follow the Liturgical Rubrics for the year of our Lord 2021, published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.  Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.