Topics

OCA Choir Cues (B) for 9th Sunday after Pentecost, August 9, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 9
9th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 8. Afterfeast of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Glorification of Ven. Herman, Wonderworker of All America.

Epistles:
(128) 1 Cornithians 3:9-17
(181) 2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (Venerable One)

Gospels:
(59) Matthew 14:22-34
(37) Matthew 10:23-31 (Venerable One)

READER AND CHOIR CUES (B)

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Venerable One
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Venerable One

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 12, Tone 8: Resurrection--4; Feast--4 (from Ode IV); Venerable One--4 (from Ode VI).

12. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Remember us, O Christ Savior of the world, / as Thou hast remembered the thief upon the Rood. / And make us all worthy of Thy heavenly Kingdom, // O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

11. Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve / for he who formerly stripped you both / and took you captive through beguilement, // is laid low by the Cross of Christ.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Our Savior, having been nailed of Thine own will upon the Tree / Thou hast destroyed the curse of the tree that lay on Adam / and as Thou art compassionate, // Thou hast given those in Thine image a dwelling-place in Paradise.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Today Christ is risen from the tomb / giving all the faithful incorruption / and He gives back joy to the women bearing myrrh -- // after the Passion and Resurrection!

Thou, O Christ our God, hast delivered the written Law upon Mount Sinai, / and hast appeared there riding upon the cloud, / in the midst of fire and darkness and tempest. // Glory to Thy power, O Lord!

As a pledge of Thy glorious dispensation, / Thou hast ineffably shone forth on Tabor, / O Christ our God, Who wast before the ages // and whose chariot is the clouds.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou hast preserved the bush unharmed, O Master, / though it was united with fire, / and Thou hast shown to Moses Thy flesh shining with divine brightness, // while he sang: Glory to Thy power, O Lord!

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Thou wast revealed as an immaterial fire / that burns not the material substance of the body, / when Thou hast appeared to Moses and the apostles and Elijah, O Master // Who art one in two natures and both of them perfect.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Counting earthly afflictions / as nothing, O Herman, / your only sorrow // was for your heavenly homeland.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Standing by the brook / near your soul as by / the waters of Babylon, // you longed for the Zion on high.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The Lord heard the prayers of your heart, / and now you flourish / like a palm tree in the courts // of your home in heaven.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

In gladness we sing / to the Mother of God, / anticipating her falling asleep // and rising again.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 8: Thou didst descend from on high, O Merciful One! / Thou didst accept the three-day burial / to free us from our sufferings! // O Lord, our Life and Resurrection, glory to Thee!

Troparion, Feast, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on the Mount, O Christ God, / revealing Thy glory to Thy disciples as far as they could bear it. / Let Thine everlasting light shine upon us sinners! // Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Giver of Light, glory to Thee!

[Troparion, Church (if of Theotokos)]

Troparion, Venerable One, Tone 7: O joyful North Star of the Church of Christ, / guiding all men to the heavenly kingdom, / teacher and apostle of the true faith; / intercessor and defender for the oppressed, / adornment of the Orthodox Church in America: / blessed father Herman of Alaska, / pray to our Lord Jesus Christ // for the salvation of our souls!

OR

Troparion, Venerable One, Tone 4: O blessed Father Herman of Alaska, / North Star of Christ's holy Church, / the light of your holy life and great deeds / guides those who follow the Orthodox way. / Together we lift high the Holy Cross / you planted firmly in America. / Let all behold and glorify Jesus Christ, // singing His holy Resurrection.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 8: By rising from the tomb, Thou didst raise the dead and resurrect Adam. / Eve exults in Thy Resurrection, // and the world celebrates Thy Rising from the dead, O greatly Merciful One.

[Kontakion, Feast (if of Theotokos)]

Glory...

Kontakion, Venerable One, Tone 3: The eternal light of Christ our Savior / guided you, O blessed father Herman, / on your evangelical journey to America / to proclaim the Gospel of peace. / Now you stand before the throne of glory: / beseech God for your land and its people, // asking peace for world and salvation for our souls.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 7: On the mountain wast Thou transfigured, O Christ God, / and Thy disciples beheld Thy glory as far as they could see it; / so that when they would behold Thee crucified, / they would understand that Thy suffering was voluntary, / and would proclaim to the world // that Thou art truly the Radiance of the Father!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone, a Psalm of David: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Choir: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Reader: In Judah God is known; His name is great in Israel!
Choir: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
Choir: He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(128) 1 Corinthians 3:9-17] Brethren: We are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. * According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it. * For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. * Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw -- * each man's work shall become manifest; for the day shall disclose it, because it shall be revealed with fire, and the fire shall test what sort of work each one has done. * If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he shall receive a reward. * If any man's work is burned up, he shall suffer loss, though he himself shall be saved, but only as through fire. * Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? * If any one destroys God's temple, God shall destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

[(181) 2 Corinthians 6:1-10] Brethren: Working together with Him, we entreat you not to accept the grace of God in vain. * For He says, "At the acceptable time I have listened to you, and helped you on the day of salvation." Behold, now is the acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. * We put no obstacle in any one's way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, * but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: through great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, * beatings, imprisonments, tumults, labors, keeping vigils, fasting; * by purity, knowledge, forbearance, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love, * truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; * in honor and dishonor, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; * as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as punished, and yet not killed; * as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord! Let us make a joyful noise to God our Savior!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Let us come before His face with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the same tone: Thy law is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my paths.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(59) Matthew 14:22-34] At that time, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds. * And after He had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone, * but the boat by this time was out on the sea, beaten by the waves; for the wind was against them. * And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. * But when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. * But immediately He spoke to them, saying, "Take heart, it is I; have no fear." * And Peter answered Him, "Lord, if it is Thou, bid me come to Thee on the water." * He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; * but when he saw the strong wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." * Jesus immediately reached out His hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?" * And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. * And those in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "Truly Thou art the Son of God." * And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret.

[(37) Matthew 10:23-31] The Lord said to His disciples: "When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly, I say to you, you shall not have gone through all the towns of Israel, before the Son of man comes. * A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master; * it is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they malign those of his household. * So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered that shall not be revealed, or hidden that shall not be known. * What I tell you in the dark, utter in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim upon the housetops. * And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. * Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them shall fall to the ground without your Father's will. * But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. * Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 4

Magnify, O my soul, the Lord Who was transfigured on Mount Tabor!

Your birthgiving was incorruptible! / God came from your body / and appeared on earth in flesh, dwelling among men. // Therefore, we magnify you, O Theotokos!

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
He turned a desert into pools of water, and a waterless land into streams of water.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos, The Festal Menaion) and Isaac Lambertsen (The December Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.