OCA Choir Cues (B) for 8th Sunday after Pentecost, August 2, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2
8th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 7. Blessed Basil the Fool-for-Christ, Wonderworker of Moscow.

Epistles:
(124) 1 Corinthians 1:10-18
(213) Galatians 5:22-6:2 (Blessed One)

Gospels:
(58) Matthew 14:14-22
(43) Matthew 11:27-30 (Blessed One)

READER AND CHOIR CUES (B)

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Blessed One
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Blessed One
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Blessed One

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 7: Resurrection--6; Blessed One--4 (from Ode III of Canon I).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Fair to look upon and good for food was the fruit that killed me; / while Christ is the Tree of life. Eating Thereof I die not / but cry aloud with the thief: // Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Lifted upon the Cross, Thou Who art compassionate, / hast blotted out the handwriting of Adam's sin in days of old, / and Thou hast saved from error all the whole line of mortal men. // Therefore we sing Thy praises, O Benefactor and Lord.

Thou hast nailed our sins upon the Cross, O Christ Who art compassionate, / and by Thy death hast Thou put death to death, / raising the dead from the dead. // Therefore we venerate Thy holy Resurrection.

The serpent once emptied his poison into the ears of Eve; / while Christ on the wood of the Cross poured out the sweetness of life unto the world. // Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

In the tomb wast Thou laid as mortal, / O Christ, the life of all / and Thou hast burst asunder the chains of hell / and risen on the third day in glory as mighty, / Thou hast enlightened all. // Glory to Thy Rising.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord rose from the dead on the third day / and gave His own peace to the disciples. / And he blessed them / and sent them forth saying: // Lead ye all men into my Kingdom.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

You considered the beautiful things of this age to be smoke, dust and shadow, and wanted nothing more than the love of Christ, / desiring to enjoy His glory and eternal gladness, into which the angels also wish to enter. / And having received, rejoicing, the joy thereof, you stand in light before the Holy Trinity, // unto Whom pray for us, O all-blessed Basil.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Gaining control over the passions, O magnanimous Basil, you conquered carnal desire / and showed yourself to be a spiritual treasure of purity; wherefore you have received a white tablet, / whereon is inscribed a name new, wondrous and unknown. There was on your soul no defilement or blemish, // for you whitened it in the streams of your tears, and now rejoice unceasingly.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Possessed of a soul replete with faith, O all-blessed one, / you industriously invested the talent given you, and received authority over the ten cities of the virtues: / to drive out demons, cleanse lepers, swiftly enable the paralyzed to walk, grant sight to the blind, // and increase the gift of healing for all who keep your holy memory.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Placing my trust in you, O holy Virgin Theotokos, I am saved. / O Mistress, drive away the enemies of my soul, and guide me to the path of life, / that, saved, I may cry out to you: Rejoice, O helper of the world, hope of Christians! // Rejoice, O blessed one, the Lord is with you!

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 7: By Thy Cross, Thou didst destroy death! / To the thief, Thou didst open Paradise! / For the myrrh-bearers, Thou didst change weeping into joy! / And Thou didst command Thy disciples, O Christ God, / to proclaim that Thou art Risen, // granting the world great mercy.

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s))]

Troparion, Blessed One, Tone 8: Your manner of life true and your purity undefiled, O Basil, / for the sake of Christ you laid waste to your body / by fasting and vigils, by frigid cold and the heat of the sun, / and by the deep shadow and rain of clouds: and your face shone with light like the sun. / And now all nations and peoples come to you, glorifying your holy repose. / Wherefore, entreat Christ God, that He may deliver us from captivity to barbarians and from civil strife, // and that He may grant peace to the world, and great mercy to our souls.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 7: The dominion of death can no longer hold men captive, / for Christ descended, shattering and destroying its powers! / Hell is bound, while the Prophets rejoice and cry: / The Savior has come to those in faith. // Enter, you faithful, into the Resurrection.

[Kontakion, Church (if of Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Blessed One, Tone 4: Led by the Spirit of God, O all-blessed Basil, / you shunned the tumult of the world / and despised the turmoils of life; / and having shed corruptible garments / and put on the vesture of dispassion, / you escaped the pursuit of the lying prince of this world; / you became a stranger in your speech, / and, choosing heavenly riches over earthly wealth, / you have been crowned with the wreath of patience. / And now, O all-blessed Basil, / entreat Christ God on behalf of those who keep your holy memorial, / that we may cry out to you: // Rejoice, O all-blessed Basil!

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone, a Psalm of David: The Lord shall give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Choir: The Lord shall give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Reader: Offer to the Lord, O you sons of God! Offer young rams to the Lord!
Choir: The Lord shall give strength to His people, the Lord shall bless His people with peace.
Reader: In the same tone: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.
Choir: The righteous shall rejoice in the Lord and shall hope in Him.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(124) 1 Corinthians 1:10-18] Brethren: I appeal to you, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. * For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brethren. * What I mean is that each one of you says, "I belong to Paul," or "I belong to Apollos," or "I belong to Cephas," or "I belong to Christ." * Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? * I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius; * lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name. * (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.) * For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. * For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

[(213) Galatians 5:22-6:2] Brethren: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, * gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. * And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. * If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. * Let us have no self-conceit, no provoking of one another, no envy of one another. * Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted. * Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: To declare Thy mercy in the morning, and Thy truth by night.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in His commandments.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(58) Matthew 14:14-22] At that time, Jesus saw a great throng; and He had compassion on them, and healed their sick. * When it was evening, the disciples came to Him and said, "This is a lonely place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves." * Jesus said, "They need not go away; you give them something to eat." * They said to Him, "We have only five loaves here and two fish." * And He said, "Bring them here to Me." * Then He ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass; and taking the five loaves and the two fish He looked up to heaven, and blessed, and broke and gave the loaves to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. * And they all ate and were satisfied. And they took up twelve baskets full of the broken pieces left over. * And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children. * Then He made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds.

[(43) Matthew 11:27-30] The Lord said to His disciples: "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him. * Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. * Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls. * For My yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear evil tidings.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). The Troparion and Kontakion to the Blessed One are also from The August Menaion. Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.