Topics

OCA Choir Cues (B) for 12th Sunday after Pentecost, August 30, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 30
12th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 3. Translation of the Relics of Rt. Blv. Great Prince Alexander Nevsky.

Epistles:
(158) 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
(213) Galatians 5:22-6:2 (Rt. Blv. Prince)

Gospels:
(79) Matthew 19:16-26
(43) Matthew 11:27-30 (Rt. Blv. Prince)

READER AND CHOIR CUES (B)

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Rt. Blv. Prince
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Rt. Blv. Prince
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Rt. Blv. Prince

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 10, Tone 3: Resurrection--6; Rt. Blv. Prince--4 (from Ode III).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

O Christ, Thou hast cast out of Paradise Adam, the forefather, / who had set aside Thy commandment. / And in Thy compassion, Thou hast made to dwell therein / the thief confessing Thee upon the Cross and crying: // Remember me, O Savior, in Thy Kingdom.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Giver of life and Lord, / Thou hast condemned us having sinned to the curse of death. / And suffering in Thy sinless body / Thou hast made mortal men live crying: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

O Lord, risen from the dead, / Thou hast raised us from passions by Thy Resurrection. / And Thou hast destroyed all the might of death. / Therefore we cry with faith to Thee: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

By Thy three days' burial hast Thou, making them live, / raised those lying dead in hell. / And Thou as good hast poured forth incorruption upon us all / who at all times cry with faith: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Risen from the tomb, / Thou hast first appeared to the women bearing myrrh and hast cried: Rejoice! / and through them Thou dost make known Thy rising / to Thy friends, O Christ: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

On the mountain, Moses, holding his arms outspread / forefigured the Cross and defeated Amalek. / And we having received it with faith / as a strong weapon against devils all cry: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

You were shown to be a beacon of light, / O most blessed Alexander, / ever dispelling the profound darkness of infirmities / with the brilliant rays of your miracles, // O all-wise one.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Rejoicing, you stand before the throne of grace today with all the angels, / spreading a wealth of healing upon the world. // Save us all by your supplications, O blessed one!

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Assembling, let us fittingly praise the pious and crowned Alexander, / as the generous bestower of miracles, // who entreats the Lord on behalf of us all.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Truly the Lord reigns in the kingdom which will never fall. / Through you, O Mother of God, has He clothed Himself / in holy flesh as in beauteous splendor, / as says the psalmist; // and therein has He accepted death and destroyed its kingdom.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 3: Let the heavens rejoice! / Let the earth be glad! / For the Lord has shown strength with His arm! / He has trampled down death by death! / He has become the first-born of the dead! / He has delivered us from the depths of hell, / and has granted the world // great mercy!

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s)]

Troparion, Rt. Blv. Prince, Tone 4: Recognize your brethren, O Russian Joseph / who reignest not in Egypt, but in heaven, / right-believing Prince Alexander; / and accept their entreaties, / increasing the harvests of your people through the fertility of your land, / and protecting the cities of thy dominion by your supplications. // And together with our Orthodox hierarchs do battle against all heresies.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 3: On this day Thou didst rise from the tomb, O Merciful One, / leading us from the gates of death. / On this day Adam exults as Eve rejoices. / With the prophets and patriarchs // they unceasingly praise the divine majesty of Thy power.

[Kontakion, Church (if of Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Rt. Blv. Prince, Tone 4: As your kinsmen Boris and Gleb appeared to you, / bringing you help from heaven / when you battled against Velgar the Swede and his warriors, / so now, O blessed Alexander, come to the aid of your kinfolk, // and contend against those who wage war against us.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone, a Psalm of David: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Choir: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Reader: Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!
Choir: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Reader: In the 7th Tone: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.
Choir: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(158) 1 Corinthians 15:1-11] Brethren: I would remind you in what terms I preached to you the gospel, which you received, in which you stand, * by which you are saved, if you hold it fast -- unless you believed in vain. * For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, * that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, * and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. * Then He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. * Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. * Last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared also to me. * For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. * But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God which is with me. * Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

[(213) Galatians 5:22-6:2] Brethren: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, * gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. * And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. * If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. * Let us have no self-conceit, no provoking of one another, no envy of one another. * Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted. * Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I placed my hope; let me not be put to shame.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Be Thou a God of protection for me, a house of refuge, in order to save me!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in His commandments.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(79) Matthew 19:16-26] At that time, a young man came to Jesus, bowing to Him and saying: "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?" * And He said to him, "Why do you ask Me about what is good? One there is Who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments." * He said to Him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, * Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." * The young man said to Him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?" * Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." * When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions. * And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it shall be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. * Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." * When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" * But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

[(43) Matthew 11:27-30] The Lord said to His disciples: "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him. * Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. * Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls. * For My yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear evil tidings.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). The Troparion and Kontakion of the Rt. Blv. Prince are also from The August Menaion. Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.