Topics

OCA Choir Cues (A) for 9th Sunday after Pentecost, August 9, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 9
9th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 8. Afterfeast of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Apostle Matthias.

Epistles:
(128) 1 Cornithians 3:9-17
(2) Acts 1:12-17, 21-26 (Apostle)

Gospels:
(59) Matthew 14:22-34
(40) Luke 9:1-6 (Apostle)

READER AND CHOIR CUES (A)

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Apostle
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Feast
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Apostle

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 12, Tone 8: Resurrection--4; Feast--4 (from Ode IV); Apostle--4 (from Ode VI).

12. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Remember us, O Christ Savior of the world, / as Thou hast remembered the thief upon the Rood. / And make us all worthy of Thy heavenly Kingdom, // O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

11. Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve / for he who formerly stripped you both / and took you captive through beguilement, // is laid low by the Cross of Christ.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Our Savior, having been nailed of Thine own will upon the Tree / Thou hast destroyed the curse of the tree that lay on Adam / and as Thou art compassionate, // Thou hast given those in Thine image a dwelling-place in Paradise.

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Today Christ is risen from the tomb / giving all the faithful incorruption / and He gives back joy to the women bearing myrrh -- // after the Passion and Resurrection!

Thou, O Christ our God, hast delivered the written Law upon Mount Sinai, / and hast appeared there riding upon the cloud, / in the midst of fire and darkness and tempest. // Glory to Thy power, O Lord!

As a pledge of Thy glorious dispensation, / Thou hast ineffably shone forth on Tabor, / O Christ our God, Who wast before the ages // and whose chariot is the clouds.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou hast preserved the bush unharmed, O Master, / though it was united with fire, / and Thou hast shown to Moses Thy flesh shining with divine brightness, // while he sang: Glory to Thy power, O Lord!

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Thou wast revealed as an immaterial fire / that burns not the material substance of the body, / when Thou hast appeared to Moses and the apostles and Elijah, O Master // Who art one in two natures and both of them perfect.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

You became a god by adoption, deified by divine union, / receiving pristine rays of light from God, / and you have illumined the faith // and cleansed the earth of the darkness of idolatry.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

You became a god by adoption, deified by divine union, / receiving pristine rays of light from God, / and you have illumined the faith // and cleansed the earth of the darkness of idolatry.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Lo! every prophecy of the sacred prophets / is contained in you, the disciple; / for you were an eye-witness, imitator and apostle // of Him Whom you proclaimed of old, O Matthias, servant of God.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O Virgin, we, the faithful, / call you the noetic sanctuary, / the untouchable mercy-seat, the golden lampstand, // the spiritual table bearing the Bread of life.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 8: Thou didst descend from on high, O Merciful One! / Thou didst accept the three-day burial / to free us from our sufferings! // O Lord, our Life and Resurrection, glory to Thee!

Troparion, Feast, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on the Mount, O Christ God, / revealing Thy glory to Thy disciples as far as they could bear it. / Let Thine everlasting light shine upon us sinners! // Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Giver of Light, glory to Thee!

[Troparion, Church (if of Theotokos or Patronal Saint(s))]

Troparion, Apostle, Tone 3: O holy Apostle Matthias, / entreat the merciful God, // to grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 8: By rising from the tomb, Thou didst raise the dead and resurrect Adam. / Eve exults in Thy Resurrection, // and the world celebrates Thy Rising from the dead, O greatly Merciful One.

[Kontakion, Feast (if of Theotokos)]

[Kontakion, Church (Patronal Saint(s))]

Glory...

Kontakion, Apostle, Tone 4: O wonderworker and Apostle Matthias, / your words have gone out into all the world, / enlightening men as the sun / and giving grace to the Church, // bringing faith to heathen lands.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Feast, Tone 7: On the mountain wast Thou transfigured, O Christ God, / and Thy disciples beheld Thy glory as far as they could see it; / so that when they would behold Thee crucified, / they would understand that Thy suffering was voluntary, / and would proclaim to the world // that Thou art truly the Radiance of the Father!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone, a Psalm of David: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Choir: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Reader: In Judah God is known; His name is great in Israel!
Choir: Pray and make your vows before the Lord our God.
Reader: In the same tone: Their proclamation has gone out into all the earth and their words to the ends of the universe.
Choir: Their proclamation has gone out into all the earth and their words to the ends of the universe.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(128) 1 Corinthians 3:9-17] Brethren: We are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. * According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it. * For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. * Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw -- * each man's work shall become manifest; for the day shall disclose it, because it shall be revealed with fire, and the fire shall test what sort of work each one has done. * If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he shall receive a reward. * If any man's work is burned up, he shall suffer loss, though he himself shall be saved, but only as through fire. * Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? * If any one destroys God's temple, God shall destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

[(2) Acts 1:12-17, 21-26] In those days, the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away; * and when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. * All these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers. * In those days, Peter stood up among the brethren (the company of persons was in all about a hundred and twenty), and said, * "Brethren, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David, concerning Judas who was guide to those who arrested Jesus. * For he was numbered among us, and was allotted his share in this ministry. * So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, * beginning from the baptism of John until the day when He was taken up from us -- one of these men must become with us a witness to His Resurrection." * And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. * And they prayed and said, "Lord, Who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two Thou hast chosen * to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place." * And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord! Let us make a joyful noise to God our Savior!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Let us come before His face with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 1st Tone: The heavens shall confess Thy wonders, O Lord, and Thy truth in the congregation of the saints!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(59) Matthew 14:22-34] At that time, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds. * And after He had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone, * but the boat by this time was out on the sea, beaten by the waves; for the wind was against them. * And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. * But when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. * But immediately He spoke to them, saying, "Take heart, it is I; have no fear." * And Peter answered Him, "Lord, if it is Thou, bid me come to Thee on the water." * He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; * but when he saw the strong wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." * Jesus immediately reached out His hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?" * And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. * And those in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "Truly Thou art the Son of God." * And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret.

[(40) Luke 9:1-6] At that time, Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, * and He sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal. * And He said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. * And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. * And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them." * And they departed and went through the villages, preaching the Gospel and healing everywhere.

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 4

Magnify, O my soul, the Lord Who was transfigured on Mount Tabor!

Your birthgiving was incorruptible! / God came from your body / and appeared on earth in flesh, dwelling among men. // Therefore, we magnify you, O Theotokos!

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Their proclamation has gone out into all the earth, and their words to the ends of the universe.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos, The Festal Menaion) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos, The Festal Menaion) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.