Topics

OCA Choir Cues (A) for 12th Sunday after Pentecost, August 30, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 30
12th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 3. SS. Alexander, John and Paul the New, Patriarchs of Constantinople.

Epistle: (158) 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
Gospel: (79) Matthew 19:16-26

READER AND CHOIR CUES (A)

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Hierarchs
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Forerunner
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Resurrection

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 3: All Resurrection.

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Christ, Thou hast cast out of Paradise Adam, the forefather, / who had set aside Thy commandment. / And in Thy compassion, Thou hast made to dwell therein / the thief confessing Thee upon the Cross and crying: // Remember me, O Savior, in Thy Kingdom.

O Giver of life and Lord, / Thou hast condemned us having sinned to the curse of death. / And suffering in Thy sinless body / Thou hast made mortal men live crying: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

O Lord, risen from the dead, / Thou hast raised us from passions by Thy Resurrection. / And Thou hast destroyed all the might of death. / Therefore we cry with faith to Thee: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

By Thy three days' burial hast Thou, making them live, / raised those lying dead in hell. / And Thou as good hast poured forth incorruption upon us all / who at all times cry with faith: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Risen from the tomb, / Thou hast first appeared to the women bearing myrrh and hast cried: Rejoice! / and through them Thou dost make known Thy rising / to Thy friends, O Christ: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

On the mountain, Moses, holding his arms outspread / forefigured the Cross and defeated Amalek. / And we having received it with faith / as a strong weapon against devils all cry: // Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Let us faithful sing with faith / the praises of the Father and Son and Holy Spirit / for the Trinity is as from one Sun a threefold Light / illuminating all those who cry: // Remember me also in Thy Kingdom.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Rejoice, O Gate of God / through whom the Fashioner passed made flesh, keeping you sealed. / Rejoice, O light Cloud bearing Christ, the divine Rain. / Rejoice, O Ladder and heavenly throne. // Rejoice, O Mountain of God, flowing with milk and unhewn.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 3: Let the heavens rejoice! / Let the earth be glad! / For the Lord has shown strength with His arm! / He has trampled down death by death! / He has become the first-born of the dead! / He has delivered us from the depths of hell, / and has granted the world // great mercy!

[Troparion, Church (if of the Theotokos or Saint(s)]

Troparion, Forerunner, Tone 2: The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise, / but the Lord's testimony is sufficient for you, O Forerunner. / You were shown in truth to be the most honorable of the prophets, / for you were deemed worthy to baptize in the streams of the Jordan Him Whom they foretold. / Therefore, having suffered for the truth with joy, / you proclaimed to those in hell God Who appeared in the flesh, // Who takes away the sin of the world, and grants us great mercy.

Troparion, Hierarchs, Tone 4: O God of our fathers, always act with kindness towards us; / take not Thy mercy from us, // but through their prayers, guide our lives in peace.

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 3: On this day Thou didst rise from the tomb, O Merciful One, / leading us from the gates of death. / On this day Adam exults as Eve rejoices. / With the prophets and patriarchs // they unceasingly praise the divine majesty of Thy power.

[Kontakion, Church (if of Saint(s))]

Kontakion, Forerunner, Tone 5: The glorious beheading of the forerunner / became an act of divine dispensation, / for he preached to those in hell the coming of the Savior. / Let Herodias lament, for she entreated lawless murder, / loving not the law of God, nor eternal life, // but that which is false and temporal.

Glory...

Kontakion, Hierarchs, Tone 8: Set aflame by the love of Christ, O glorious ones, / you took up the yoke of His precious Cross, / revealing yourselves as followers in His footsteps by your way of life, / and you became partakers of His divine glory, / O divinely wise Alexander, with wonderful John and glorious Paul. // As you stand before His throne, earnestly pray for our souls.

Now and ever...

[Kontakion, Church (if of the Theotokos). If not, then:]

Kontakion, Theotokos, Tone 6: Steadfast protectress of Christians, / constant advocate before the Creator; / despise not the cry of us sinners, / but in your goodness come speedily to help us who call on you in faith. / Hasten to hear our petition and to intercede for us, O Theotokos, // for you always protect those who honor you!

EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone, a Psalm of David: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Choir: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Reader: Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!
Choir: Sing praises to our God, sing praises, sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Reader: Sing praises to our God, sing praises,
Choir: Sing praises to our King, sing praises.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(158) 1 Corinthians 15:1-11] Brethren: I would remind you in what terms I preached to you the gospel, which you received, in which you stand, * by which you are saved, if you hold it fast -- unless you believed in vain. * For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, * that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, * and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. * Then He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. * Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. * Last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared also to me. * For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. * But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God which is with me. * Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 3rd Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In Thee, O Lord, have I placed my hope; let me not be put to shame.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Be Thou a God of protection for me, a house of refuge, in order to save me!

[(79) Matthew 19:16-26] At that time, a young man came to Jesus, bowing to Him and saying: "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?" * And He said to him, "Why do you ask Me about what is good? One there is Who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments." * He said to Him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, * Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." * The young man said to Him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?" * Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." * When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions. * And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it shall be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. * Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." * When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" * But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Mother Mary (The Sunday Octoechos). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.