Topics

OCA Choir Cues (A) for 10th Sunday after Pentecost, August 16, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 16
10th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 1. Afterfeast of the Dormition. Translation of the Image "Not-made-by-hands" of Our Lord Jesus Christ from Edessa to Constantinople.

Epistles:
(131) 1 Corinthians 4:9-16
(250) Colossians 1:12-18 OR (173) 2 Corinthians 3:4-11 (Image)

Gospels:
(72) Matthew 17:14-23
(48-ctr) Luke 9:51-56; 10:22-24 (Image)

NOTE: Here we provide the Doxology-rank service of the Holy Image (using the first service in the Menaion).

READER AND CHOIR CUES

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Dormition
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Image

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Resurrection
Glory...
Troparion, Image
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Dormition

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 12, Tone 1: Resurrection--4; Dormition--4 (from Ode I); Image--4 (from Ode VI).

12. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Through food, the enemy led Adam out of Paradise; / and through the Cross Christ led the thief back into it crying: // 'Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

11. Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

I venerate Thy sufferings and glorify Thy Resurrection. / With Adam and with the thief I raise a shining cry to Thee: // Remember me, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.

10. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Without sin, hast Thou been crucified, and of Thine own will hast Thou been laid in the tomb. / But Thou as God hast risen raising Adam with Thyself, crying: // 'Remember me, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

9. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

On the third day, O Christ our God, Thou hast raised from the tomb the temple of Thy body / raising with Thyself Adam and those descending from him, crying: // 'Remember me when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.'

The spiritual hosts that dwell in heaven attended your divine body in Zion, / while the multitude of the apostles, coming together of a sudden from the ends of the earth, stood beside you, O Theotokos. // With them we too glorify your august memory, O undefiled Virgin.

O pure Virgin, you have won the honor of victory over nature by bringing forth God; / yet like your Son and Creator, you have submitted to the laws of nature in a manner above nature. // Therefore, dying you have risen to live eternally with your Son.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

O young virgins, raise now / with Miriam the prophetess the song of departure. / For the Virgin, the only Theotokos, // is taken to her appointed dwelling-place in heaven.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The heavenly mansions of God fittingly received you, O most holy, / who are a living Heaven. Joyously adorned as a Bride without spot, // you stand beside our King and God.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O Savior, Thou art more comely in beauty than all the sons of men: / for if Thou wast bereft of form and beauty at the time of Thy passion, / yet Thou didst enlighten all things and reveal the form of Thy countenance, // whose likeness, depicted upon an aged napkin, has been given us as a treasure.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

The depiction of Thy face hast Thou now given to the new Israel / as strength against the hordes of the Moslems, / as of old Thou gavest the ark against the Philistines, O Christ. // And it has acquired glory; for it is not fitting to cast holy things to dogs.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Thou didst send Thine apostle unto Abgar who was ignorant of Thy heavenly kingdom, / to which Thou, O Christ, hast led us up from corrupt things which drag us down, / O Good One Who art unapproachable even to the immaterial cherubim; // and he revealed the mysteries, that Thou didst descend even unto Hades.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

I am now left without the strength of Thine arm, O Savior, / yet Thou hast withdrawn Thy wounding from me through the supplications / of her who gave Thee birth without knowing wedlock, O Word, // that I might not be left foundering in the storm of sin and barely afloat, O only Deliverer.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Resurrection, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by the Jews; / while the soldiers were guarding Thy Most Pure Body; / Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life to the world. / The powers of heaven therefore cried to Thee, O Giver of Life: / Glory to Thy Resurrection O Christ! / Glory to Thy kingdom! // Glory to Thy Dispensation, O Thou Who lovest mankind.

Troparion, Image, Tone 2: We venerate Thy most pure image, O Good One, / and ask forgiveness of our transgressions, O Christ our God. / Of Thy good will Thou wast pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh / and deliver Thy creatures from bondage to the enemy. / Therefore with thankfulness we cry aloud to Thee: / Thou hast filled all with joy, O our Savior, // for Thou didst come to save the world.

Troparion, Dormition, Tone 1: In giving birth you preserved your virginity! / In falling asleep you did not forsake the world, O Theotokos! / You were translated to life, O Mother of life, // and by your prayers you deliver our souls from death!

Kontakion, Resurrection, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the tomb in glory, / raising the world with Thyself. / Human nature praises Thee as God, for death has vanished. / Adam exults, O Master! / Eve rejoices, for she is freed from bondage, and cries to Thee: // Thou art the Giver of Resurrection to all, O Christ!

Glory...

Kontakion, Image, Tone 2: O uncircumscribed Word of the Father / as we behold the victorious image of Thy true incarnation, / not made by hands, but divinely wrought / in Thine ineffable and divine dispensation towards us, // we honor it with veneration.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Dormition, Tone 2: Neither the tomb, nor death, could hold the Theotokos, / who is constant in prayer and our firm hope in her intercessions. / For being the Mother of Life, // she was translated to life by the One Who dwelt in her virginal womb!

EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone, a Psalm of David: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us as we have set our hope on Thee.
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous! Praise befits the just!
Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us as we have set our hope on Thee.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: O sing to the Lord a new song, for the Lord has done marvelous things.
Choir: O sing to the Lord a new song, for the Lord has done marvelous things.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(131) 1 Corinthians 4:9-16] Brethren: I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels and to men. * We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. * To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are ill-clad and buffeted and homeless, * and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; * when slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become, and are now, as the refuse of the world, the offscouring of all things. * I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. * For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. * I urge you, then, be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

[(250) Colossians 1:12-18] Brethren: Give thanks to the Father, Who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. * He has delivered us from the dominion of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, * in Whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. * He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation; * for in Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities -- all things were created through Him and for Him. * He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. * He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything He might be pre-eminent.

OR

[(173) 2 Corinthians 3:4-11] Brethren: Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. * Not that we are competent of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our competence is from God, * Who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life. * Now if the dispensation of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such splendor that the Israelites could not look at Moses' face because of its brightness, fading as this was, * will not the dispensation of the Spirit be attended with greater splendor? * For if there was splendor in the dispensation of condemnation, the dispensation of righteousness must far exceed it in splendor. * Indeed, in this case, what once had splendor has come to have no splendor at all, because of the splendor that surpasses it. * For if what faded away came with splendor, what is permanent must have much more splendor.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 1st Tone: God gives vengeance to me, and subdues people under me!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: He magnifies the salvation of the King and deals mercifully with David, His anointed, and his seed forever.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: O Lord, we shall walk in the light of Thy countenance, and exult in Thy name for ever.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

GOSPELS

[(72) Matthew 17:14-23] At that time, a man came up to Jesus and kneeling before Him said, * "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly; for often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. * And I brought him to Thy disciples, and they could not heal him." * And Jesus answered, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me." * And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly. * Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" * He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you. * But this kind never comes out except by prayer and fasting." * As they abode in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men, * and they shall kill Him, and He shall be raised on the third day."

[(48-ctr) Luke 9:51-56; 10:22-24] At that time, when the days drew near for Jesus to be received up, He set His face to go to Jerusalem. * And He sent messengers ahead of Him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for Him; * but the people would not receive Him, because His face was set toward Jerusalem. * And when His disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, dost Thou want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them, as Elijah did?" * But He turned and rebuked them, and He said, "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of; * for the Son of man came not to destroy men's lives but to save them." And they went on to another village. * Then turning to the disciples He said, * "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father; and no one knows Who the Son is except the Father, or Who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him." * Then turning to the disciples He said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see what you see! * For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it."

INSTEAD OF "IT IS TRULY MEET...", TONE 1

The angels, as they looked upon the Dormition of the Virgin, / were struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven!

The limits of nature are overcome in you, / O Pure Virgin: / for birthgiving remains virginal / and life is united to death! / A virgin after child-bearing and alive after death! // You ever save your inheritance O Theotokos!

COMMUNION VERSES

Praise the Lord from the heavens! Praise Him in the highest!
O Lord, we will walk in the light of Thy countenance, and will exult in Thy name forever.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translations of Mother Mary and Metropolitan Kallistos (The Sunday Octoechos, The Festal Menaion) and Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.