OCA Choir Cues (A) for Saturday, August 1, 2020

Philip Sokolov <phils@...>

SUNDAY, AUGUST 1
Procession of the Honorable Wood of the Lifegiving Cross of the Lord. The Seven Maccabee martyrs, their mother Solomonia & their teacher Eleazar. Beginning of the Dormition fast.

Liturgy Epistles:
(125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24 (Cross)
(330) Hebrews 11:33-12:2 (Martyrs)

Liturgy Gospels:
(60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35 (Cross)
(38) Matthew 10:32-36; 11:1 (Martyrs)

Blessing of Water Epistle:
(306) Hebrews 2:11-18

Blessing of Water Gospel:
(14) John 5:1-4

READER AND CHOIR CUES (A)

Troparion, Cross
Glory...
Troparion, Martyrs
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Martyrs

At the Sixth Hour:

Troparion, Cross
Glory...
Troparion, Martyrs
Now and ever...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion, Cross

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

BEATITUDES TROPARIA on 8, Tone 6: Cross--4 (from Ode III); Martyrs--4 (from Ode VI).

Blessed are those who mourn, * for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

There is none as holy as Thee, O Lord my God, Who hast uplifted the horn of Thy faithful and established us on the rock of the confession of Thee, O Good One.

Of old, a sword was set to guard the blessed tree of life after the disobedience of Adam the first-created; but the Cross has opened a path thereto.

6. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

With eyes, mouth and soul, with our faces and hearts, let us all bow down before the all-holy Cross of Christ, the Bestower of life, whereby the whole world is sanctified.

5. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Becoming temples of God today, as the prophets said, bowing down before the wood of the all-holy Cross, all of us who are the heirs thereto kiss it with fear.

4. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Having arrayed yourselves in the vesture of martyrdom, O saints, you embroidered it with the feats of your suffering.

3. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, * for great is your reward in heaven.

Desiring to be with Christ, O most glorious martyrs, you have run the course of suffering with unwavering resolve.

2. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Preserving the law which Moses handed down, O holy ones, you suffered lawfully, putting the tyrant Antiochus to shame.

1. Now and ever, * and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O you who alone gave birth to the Word in the flesh at His word, deliver our souls from the snares of the enemy, we pray.

TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

Troparion, Cross, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries; / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Troparion, Martyrs, Tone 1: By the pangs of the saints, which they suffered for Thee, / be Thou entreated, O Lord, / and heal Thou all our infirmities, // we pray Thee, O Thou Who lovest mankind.

Glory...

Kontakion, Martyrs, Tone 2: O seven pillars of the wisdom of God / and seven lampstand of the divine Light, / O all-wise Maccabees, / greatest of the martyrs before the time of the martyrs, / with them ask the God of all // to save those who honor you.

Now and ever...

Kontakion, Cross, Tone 4: As Thou wast voluntarily crucified for our sake, / grant mercy to those who are called by Thy name; / make all Orthodox Christians glad by Thy power, / granting them victories over their adversaries, // by bestowing on them the invincible trophy, Thy weapon of peace.

The Trisagion is sung.

LITURGY EPISTLES

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 6th Tone, a Psalm of David: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: To Thee, O Lord, will I call. O my God, be not silent to me.
Choir: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: In the 4th Tone: As for the saints in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.
Choir: As for the saints in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(125) 1 Corinthians 1:18-24] Brethren: The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. * For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart." * Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? * For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. * For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, * but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, * but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

[(330) Hebrews 11:33-12:2] Brethren: Through faith, the saints conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, received promises, stopped the mouths of lions, * quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. * Women received their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life. * Others suffered mocking and scourging, and even chains and imprisonment. * They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were killed with the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, ill-treated -- * of whom the world was not worthy -- wandering over deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And all these, though well attested by their faith, did not receive what was promised, * since God had foreseen something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. * Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, * looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased of old.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: God is our King before the ages: He has wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the same tone: The righteous cried and the Lord heard them and He delivered them from all their troubles.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

LITURGY GOSPELS

[(60) John 19:6-11, 13-20, 25-28, 30-35] At that time, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put Him to death; * and they delivered Him to Pilate, saying, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!" * Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no crime in Him." * The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die, because He has made Himself the Son of God." * When Pilate heard these words, he was the more afraid; * he entered the praetorium again and said to Jesus, "Where art Thou from?" But Jesus gave no answer. * Pilate therefore said to Him, "Thou wilt not speak to me? Dost Thou not know that I have power to release Thee, and power to crucify Thee?" * Jesus answered him, "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above." * When Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat at a place called The Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gabbatha. * Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews, "Behold your King!" * They cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar." * Then he handed Him over to them to be crucified. * So they took Jesus, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Golgotha. * There they crucified Him, and with Him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them. * Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross; it read, "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews." * Many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek. * So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. * When Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing near, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" * Then He said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. * After this Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, bowed His head and gave up His spirit. * Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. * So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with Him; * but when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. * But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. * He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true.

[(38) Matthew 10:32-36;11:1] The Lord said to His disciples, "Every one who acknowledges Me before men, I also will acknowledge before My Father Who is in heaven; * but whoever denies Me before men, I also will deny before My Father Who is in heaven. * Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. * For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; * and a man's foes shall be those of his own household." * And when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, He went on from there to teach and preach in their cities.

COMMUNION VERSES

The light of Thy countenance has shone on us, O Lord.
Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous; praise befits the just.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

THE LESSER BLESSING OF WATER

According to the Typikon, this rite is performed before the Third Hour or during Matins, but in modern practice, it is usually served after the Divine Liturgy. Here we provide only a few parts of this service. For the full service, see The Great Book of Needs, Volume 1, or The Small Book of Needs, or The August Menaion.

Priest: Blessed is our God...
Choir: Amen. O heavenly King...

And the Reader's portions and "God is the Lord..." in Tone 4. Then:

Troparion, Tone 4: Let us, sinful and humbled, now earnestly run to the Theotokos, / and let us fall down in repentance, crying from the depth of our soul: / O Lady, help, have compassion on us! / Make haste, we are perishing from the multitude of our sins. // Turn not your servants empty away, for we have you as our only hope.

Glory... now and ever...

Another Troparion, Tone 4: Never, O Theotokos, will we cease to speak of your powers, unworthy as we are. / For if you did not intercede in prayer, / who would have delivered us from so many dangers? / Who would have kept us free until now? // Let us never forsake you, our Lady, for you ever save your servants from all perils.

And the rest of the order through the Trisagion. Then:

BLESSING OF WATER EPISTLE

Deacon: Let us attend!
Priest: Peace be unto all!
Reader: And to your spirit.
Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is the Defender of my life! Of whom shall I be afraid?
Choir: The Lord is my Light and my Savior; whom shall I fear?
Reader: The Lord is my Light and my Savior;
Choir: Whom shall I fear?

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: The reading from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.
Deacon: Let us attend!

[(306) Hebrews 2:11-18] Brethren: He Who sanctifies and those who are sanctified have all one origin. That is why He is not ashamed to call them brethren, * saying, "I will proclaim Thy name to My brethren, in the midst of the congregation I will praise Thee." * And again, "I will put My trust in Him." And again, "Here am I, and the children God has given Me." * Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death He might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, * and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage. * For surely it is not with angels that He is concerned but with the descendants of Abraham. * Therefore He had to be made like His brethren in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make expiation for the sins of the people. * For because He Himself has suffered and been tempted, He is able to help those who are tempted.

Priest: Peace be unto you, Reader.
Reader: And to your spirit.

ALLELUIA

Deacon: Wisdom!
Reader: In the 6th Tone: AL-LE-LU-IA!
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: My heart has poured forth a good word.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: I speak of my works to the king.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

BLESSING OF WATER GOSPEL

[(14) John 5:1-4] At that time, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. * Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Bethesda, which has five porticoes. * In these lay a multitude of invalids, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water; * for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool, and troubled the water: whoever stepped in first after the troubling of the water was healed of whatever disease he had.

And the rest of the order through the Blessing of Water, when we sing the following Troparion in Tone 1, thrice:

Priest: O Lord, save Thy people
Choir: And bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries; / and by virtue of Thy Cross, // preserve Thy habitation.

Then this Troparion, Tone 2: Make us worthy of your gifts, O Theotokos Virgin, / disregarding our iniquities, / and granting healings unto them that in faith receive your blessing, // O Most-pure One.

And the rest of the rite as printed.

PRAYER TO BLESS NEW HONEY

O Lord our God, Whose mercies cannot be contained and Whose bounties are ineffable; Who art marvelous in glory and workest wonders; Who by the operation of the Holy Spirit didst once bless Israel, nourishing them with honey from a rock: do Thou the same Lord look down from above on this Thy creation, and with Thy heavenly blessings bless and sanctify this honeycomb and the honey that shall come from it. Grant to it the action of blessings beyond all perfection, so that all who taste it, receive it and eat it, may find good health, and by this nourishment may be satisfied and filled with every good thing. For Thou art the Giver of all good things, and to Thee do we send up glory, together with Thy Father Who is without beginning, and Thy most holy, good, and life-giving Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

And he sprinkles it with holy water.

The Troparia on the Beatitudes are from the translation of Isaac Lambertsen (The August Menaion). The Troparion of the Martyrs is also from The August Menaion. Scriptures are according to the approved Revised Standard Version. Everything else is from standard OCA texts as published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, the Soroka family, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, the Department of Religious Education, and the Department of Liturgical Music and Translations. Rubrics follow the 2020 Liturgical Rubrics & Calendar published by St. Tikhon's Monastery Press. Prepared with the assistance of Reader Teodor Zajler.