Topics

Julian Choir Cues: Nativity of the Theotokos, 8/21 September 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great-Feast service for the Nativity of the Theotokos.  If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES — 8/21 September 2020
FOREFEAST OF THE NATIVITY OF THE THEOTOKOS — Tone 6

Epistle:  Philippians 2:5-11
Gospel:   Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28

Nativity of Our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary (Great Feast).  Venerable Serapion of the Spaso-Eleazar Monastery.  Venerable Lucian of Pereyaslavl.  Venerable Arsenius of Konevets.  New-Martyr Athanasius of Thessalonica.  St Sophronius, Bishop of Achtalea in Georgia.  New-Hieromartyr Deacon Demetrius Troitskii at Butovo.  'Kursk-Root' (finding of) Icon.  'Pochaev', Kholm', 'Glinsk', and 'Sophia - the Wisdom of God' Icons of the Mother of God.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Festal Troparion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (Beatitudes)
8 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the First Festal Canon of the Forefeast; 4 from Ode 6 of the Second Festal Canon.  NOTE:  Those following Byzantine practice can replace the usual antiphons with the festal antiphons given in the Festal Menaion, p127ff.

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

1.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Having lived blamelessly for God, ye gave birth unto the salvation of all, O divinely wise parents of her who gave birth to our Creator and God.

2.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

(repeat foregoing Troparion)  Having lived blamelessly for God, ye gave birth unto the salvation of all, O divinely wise parents of her who gave birth to our Creator and God.

3.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

From a barren woman did the Lord, Who poureth forth life upon all, cause the Virgin to come forth, in whom He was pleased to make His abode, preserving her incorrupt even after giving birth.

4  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Let us hymn Mary today as the Theotokos, the fruit of Anna, the intercessor and helper of all, who gave birth to the life-bearing Cluster.

5.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Thy chaste parents placed thee, who art the Holy of holies, in the temple of the Lord, O pure one, to be raised with honour and prepared to become His Mother.

6.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Join chorus, ye barren women and mothers!  Be of good cheer and leap up, O ye childless!  For a childless and barren woman buddeth forth the Theotokos who delivereth Eve from her birth pangs and Adam from the curse.

7.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

In thee, O pure one, is the mystery of the Trinity hymned and glorified; for the Father was well pleased, and the Word made His abode within thee, and the divine Spirit overshadowed thee.

Thou wast a golden candlestick, O pure Theotokos, for in thy womb the Fire made His abode: the Word from the Holy Spirit; and He became visible in thee, in human form.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Thy nativity, O Theotokos Virgin, / hath proclaimed joy to all the world; / for from thee hath dawned the Sun of Righteousness, Christ our God, / annulling the curse, and bestowing the blessing, // abolishing death and granting us life eternal.

Glory… Both now…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 4:  Joachim and Anna were freed from the reproach of childlessness / and Adam and Eve from the corruption of death, by thy holy nativity, O immaculate one, / which thy people, redeemed from the guilt of offences, / celebrate, by crying to thee: // The barren woman giveth birth to the Theotokos, the nourisher of our life.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Choir:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Reader:  For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Choir:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Reader: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
Choir:  And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Philippians.

Philippians 2:5-11 (§240) :  Brethren:  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: * Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: * But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: * And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. * Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: * That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; * And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  The rich among the people shall entreat thy countenance.

Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28 (§54):  At that time, Jesus entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. * And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of 'It is truly meet…', we sing the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the Second Canon of the feast, Eighth Tone (melody, 'The wonder-working rod of Moses...')

Refrain:  Magnify, O my soul, / the most glorious nativity of the Mother of God.

Irmos:   Foreign to mothers is virginity, / and strange is childbirth for virgins, / yet both were accomplished in thee, O Theotokos. / Wherefore, we and all generations of the earth // without ceasing do magnify thee.

COMMUNION VERSE

I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!