Topics

Julian Choir Cues: Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, 15/28 August 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for the Dormition of the Mother of God. If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 15/28 August 2020
DORMITION OF THE MOST HOLY LADY THEOTOKOS AND EVER-VIRGIN MARY

Epistle: Philippians 2:5-11 (§240)
Gospel: Luke 10:28-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

The Dormition of the Theotokos. Venerable Macarius the Roman and Chariton. 'Atskursk (Georgia)', 'Pskov Caves', 'Giver of Reason' and 'Crimean' Icons of the Mother of God.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Festal Troparion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia: 4 from the Ode 3 of the first Festal Canon, 4 from Ode 6 of the Second Festal Canon

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

The glorious apostles, seeing thee to be a mortal woman, yet, in manner transcending nature, the Mother of God, O all-immaculate one, with awe touched with their hands thee who art resplendent in glory, perceiving thee to be a habitation acceptable to God.

(repeat foregoing Troparion) The glorious apostles, seeing thee to be a mortal woman, yet, in manner transcending nature, the Mother of God, O all-immaculate one, with awe touched with their hands thee who art resplendent in glory, perceiving thee to be a habitation acceptable to God.

3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

When God preserved with the glory of His divinity the honour of the animate ark wherein the Word became flesh, the judgment of retribution overtook the insolent one through the severing of his audacious hands.

4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Repeat foregoing Troparion) When God preserved with the glory of His divinity the honour of the animate ark wherein the Word became flesh, the judgment of retribution overtook the insolent one through the severing of his audacious hands.

5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

For thee did Life shine forth, leaving intact the seal of thy virginity. How, therefore, hast thine all-pure and life-giving body been permitted to be tempted by death?

6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

(Repeat foregoing Troparion) For thee did Life shine forth, leaving intact the seal of thy virginity. How, therefore, hast thine all-pure and life-giving body been permitted to be tempted by death?

7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

As the temple of Life, thou didst attain life everlasting; for, having given birth to the hypostatic Life, thou didst pass through death on to life.

(Repeat foregoing Troparion) As the temple of Life, thou didst attain life everlasting; for, having given birth to the hypostatic Life, thou didst pass through death on to life.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Festal Troparion, Tone 1: In giving birth thou didst preserve thy virginity; / in thy dormition thou didst not forsake the world, O Theotokos. / Thou wast translated unto life, / since thou art the Mother of Life; // and by thine intercessions dost thou deliver our souls from death.

Glory… Both now…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 2: The grave and death could not hold the Theotokos, / who is sleepless in her intercessions and an unfailing hope in her mediations. / For as the Mother of Life she was translated unto life // by Him Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Reader: For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Reader: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
Choir: And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Philippians.

Philippians 2:5-11 (§240): Brethren: Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: * Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: * But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: * And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. * Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: * That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; * And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David, and He will not annul it.

Luke 10:38-42;11:27-28 (§54): At that time, Jesus entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. * And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, First Tone (Melody, 'Thy victorious right hand...)

Refrain: The angels, having beheld the Dormition of the Most pure One, / were struck with wonder, // at how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven.

Irmos: In thee, O Virgin without spot, / the bounds of nature are overcome: / for childbirth remains virgin / and death is betrothed to life. / O Theotokos, Virgin after bearing child and alive after death, // do thou ever save thine inheritance.

COMMUNION VERSE

I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!