Julian Choir Cues: Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple, 21 November/4 December 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for the Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple.  If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 21 November/4 December 2020
The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple

Epistle:  Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320)
Gospel:   Luke 10:28-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

HOURS

At all Hours:
Festal Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Festal Troparion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia:  4 from Ode 3 of the First Canon, 4 from Ode 6 of the Second Canon

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

1.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Receiving the pure and undefiled one, who is more splendid than all creation, the animate bridal chamber of God, the beautiful Temple and chamber doth today appear as that which adorneth the bride for her wedding.

2.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

David, preceding the chorus, doth leap and dance with us, and declareth thee, O all-pure one, the queen adorned, who standeth in the Temple before our King and God, O most pure one.

3  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

From her, from whom transgressions went forth among the human race, hath her correction and incorruption blossomed forth, the Theotokos, who is led today into the house of God.

4.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The angelic armies and a multitude of all men leap up for joy, and they advance as lamp-bearers before thy countenance, proclaiming thy majesty in the house of God.

5.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O ye faithful, let us celebrate the spiritual feast of the Mother of God, chanting piously; for she is more holy than the heavenly intelligences.

6.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

6. With spiritual hymns let us praise the Mother of the Light, O ye faithful, for she hath appeared to us today, going forth into the temple of God.

7.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

7. O Father, Son and upright Spirit, Unity in three Hypostases, indivisible Trinity: have mercy upon those who worship Thy divine might.

8.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Contained in thy womb, O all-pure Mother of God, He Whom nought could contain issued forth from thee in two natures: God and man.

TROPARION AND KONTAKION

Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Today is the prelude of God’s good will / and the heralding of the salvation of mankind. / In the temple of God, the Virgin is presented openly, / and she proclaimeth Christ unto all. / To her, then, with a great voice let us cry aloud: / Rejoice, O thou fulfilment // of the Creator’s dispensation.

Glory… Both now…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 4:  The most pure temple of the Saviour, / the most precious bridal-chamber and Virgin, / the sacred treasury of the glory of God, / is on this day brought into the house of the Lord, / bringing with her the grace that is in the Divine Spirit. / And the angels of God chant praise unto her: // she is the heavenly tabernacle.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Choir:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Reader:  For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Choir:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Reader: My soul doth magnify the Lord.

Choir:  And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320):  Brethren:  Verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. * For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. * And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all; * Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; * And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercy-seat; of which we cannot now speak particularly. * Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God. * But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  The rich among the people shall entreat thy countenance.

Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28 (§54)At that time, Jesus entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. * And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone (Melody, Having crossed the Red Sea dry-shod...)

Refrain:  The angels beholding the entry of the most pure one / were struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin entered into the Holy of Holies.

Irmos:   Let no profane hand touch the living Ark of God, / but let the lips of the faithful, chanting unceasingly / the words of the angel to the Theotokos, / cry out with joy: // Truly art thou high above all, O pure Virgin.

COMMUNION VERSE

I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!