Julian Choir Cues: 8 Pentecost, 25 July/7 August 2022

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Doxology-rank service for the Dormition of Righteous Anna, mother of the Most Holy Theotokos..  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 25 July/7 August 2022
EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 7

Epistle:
For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 1:10-18 (§124)
For St Anna:  Galatians 4:22-31 (§210, from the midpoint)

Gospel:
For the Sunday: Matthew 14:14-22 (§58)
For St Anna:  Luke 8:16-21 (§36)

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost.  Dormition of Righteous Anna, mother of the Most Holy Theotokos (Doxology-rank service).  Holy Women Olympiada, deaconess of Constantinople, and the Virgin Eupraxia.  Martyrs of Lyons: Sanctus the Deacon, Maturus, Attalus, Blandina, Biblis, Vettius, Epagathus, Ponticus, Alexander, and those with them, at Lyon.  Martyr Cucuphas of Barcelona.  Holy Fathers of the Fifth Ecumenical Council.  Venerable Macarius of Zheltovod (Doxology-rank service).  St Christopher, Abbot of Solvychegodsk, Vologda.  New-Hieromartyr Nicholas Udintsev, priest (1918).  New Hieromartyrs Rodoljub Samardzic and Vukosav Milanovic, priests, of Kulen-Vakuf, Serbia (1941).  Righteous Iraida Tikhova, confessor (1967).  Moveable feast on the Sunday before July 28:  Synaxis of the Saints of Smomlensk.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of St Anna
Both now...
Kontakion of St Anna

At the Third Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of St Anna
Both now...
Resurrectional Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia:  6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of St Anna

1.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

2.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole human race from deception.  Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and Benefactor.

3.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead from among the dead.  Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

4.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the world.  Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

5.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all; and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.  Glory to Thine arising!

6.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

7.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Thou didst conceive her who conceived Him Who sustaineth all things; and in manner past recounting thou gavest bir to her who gave birth unto Christ. Wherefore, we honor thy dormition, O Anna.

8.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

With praises is thy glorious memory celebrated; for thou, O Anna beloved of God, gavest birth for us unto her who is far above praise: the pure Mother of God.

9.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The glorious Joachim, uniting himself to Anna, like the sun to the moon, doth sire the effulgence of virginity, for whose sake the Beam of divinity hath shone forth.

10.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

O Theotokos, we have acquired thee as a steadfast intercessor; and, having set our hope on thee, we are saved.  For, fleeing to thee, we find protection.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief. / Thou didst change the lamentation of the Myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine Apostles to proclaim / that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and grantest to the world great mercy.

Troparion of St Anna, Tone 4: O divinely wise Anna, / in thy womb thou didst bear the pure Mother of God, / who gave birth unto Life. / Wherefore, rejoicing in glory, / thou hast now been translated to the mansions of heaven, / where is the abode of those who rejoice. / O ever-blessed one, / beseech thou cleansing of transgressions // for those who honour thee with love.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7:  No longer will the dominion of death be able to keep men captive; / for Christ hath descended, demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; / the prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Saviour hath come for them that have faith. //  Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection.

Kontakion of St Anna, Tone 2: We celebrate the memory of the forebears of Christ, / entreating them with faith for help, / that from every tribulation / all may be delivered who cry: / Our God is with us, Who hath glorified them, // as was His good pleasure!

Glory…

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, /
disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone:  The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Reader:  Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the sons of rams.
Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Reader:  In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
Choir:  Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 1:10-18 (§124):  Brethren:  I beseech you, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement. * For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. *  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. * Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul? * I thank God that I baptised none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; *  Lest any should say that I had baptised in mine own name. * And I baptised also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptised any other. * For Christ sent me not to baptise, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. * For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved, it is the power of God.

Galatians 4:22-31 (§210, from the midpoint):  Brethren:  It is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. * But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. * Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. * For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. * But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. * For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. * Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. * But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. * Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. * So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 1st Tone: The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord, and He is their Defender in time of affliction.

Matthew 14:14-22 (§58):  At that time, Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick. *  And when it was evening, his disciples came to him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves victuals. * But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat. * And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. * He said, Bring them hither to me. * And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. * And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full. * And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children. * And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.

Luke 8:16-21 (§36):  The Lord said to His disciples:  No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light. * For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad. * Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have. * Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press. * And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. * And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!