Julian Choir Cues: 31 Pentecost, 28 December/10 January 2021

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a service for the Afterfeast of the Nativity of Christ.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 28 December/10 January 2021
THIRTY-FIRST SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 6

Epistle:   For the Sunday after Nativity:  Galatians 1:11-19 (§200)
Gospel:  For the Sunday after Nativity:  Matthew 2:13-23 (§4)

Thirty-First Sunday after Pentecost.  Sunday after the Nativity.  The 20,000 Martyrs burned at Nicomedia. Holy Apostle of the Seventy Nicanor the Deacon.  Venerable Ignatius of Loma, Yaroslavl.  Venerable Simon the Myrrh-Gusher of Bulgaria.  Venerable Babylas of Tarsus.  Venerable Cornelius of Krypetsky Monastery in Pskov.  New-Hieromartyr Nicodemus, Bishop of Belgorod (1918).  Moveable Feast on the Sunday after the Nativity: St Joseph the Betrothed, St David the King, and St James the Brother of the Lord.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saints
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Saints

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Festal Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
12 Troparia:  4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 5 of the Festal Canon; 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon of the Saints

1.  Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Saviour, and save me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

2.  Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

3.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Saviour: Glory to Thine arising!

4.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art compassionate.

5.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Submitting to be recorded among Thy servants at the command of Cæsar, Thou hast freed us slaves from the enemy and sin, O Christ; and having abased Thyself for us, Thou hast made our clay divine through Thy union and sharing therein.

6.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

Behold, the Virgin hath conceived in her womb, as was foretold of old, and hath given birth to God made man, yet remaineth virgin.  O sinners who for her sake have been reconciled with God, let us faithful hymn her as the true Theotokos.

7.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

By His coming in the flesh the Master hath again cut down the cruel enmity directed against us, that He might destroy the soul-destroying ruler, uniting the world with the immaterial beings, making the Begetter accessible to creation.

8.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The people who of old were benighted have finally seen the light of the radiance of the Most High; and the Son bringeth the nations to the Father as an inheritance, bestowing ineffable grace where sin once flourished exceedingly.

9.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Awe-struck, the heavenly hosts stood before the cave, and unable to keep silent, hymned Thy most pure nativity, chanting: Glory in the highest to the newborn God!

10.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Upon Thy throne hast Thou sat, as Thou didst swear unto the prophet David, O Master, Who camest forth from the fruit of his loins; and unto James didst Thou commit the throne of the Church, O Christ.

11.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

David the king is shown to be a wondrous prophet and forefather of the incarnation of God; and James, the disciple of Jesus, is shown forth as the first bishop.

12.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

We beseech thee, O Virgin Theotokos: in behalf of thy servants entreat thou Him Who was incarnate of thee, for we know thee to be our sole intercessor.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6: Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, / and they that guarded Thee became as dead. / And Mary stood by the grave seeking Thine immaculate body. / Thou didst despoil hades and wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant us life.  // O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

Festal Troparion, Tone 4:  Thy Nativity, O Christ our God,  / hath shined upon the world the light of knowledge; / for thereby, they that worshipped the stars / were taught by a star / to worship Thee, the Sun of Righteousness, / and to know Thee, the Dayspring from on high. // O Lord, glory be to Thee.

Troparion of the Saints, Tone 2:   O Joseph, proclaim the wonders to David the father of our Divine Lord. / Thou hast seen a Virgin conceive; / thou hast given glory with the shepherds; / thou hast worshipped with the Magi; / and thou hast been warned by an angel.  // Implore Christ our God to save our souls.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Saints, Tone 3:  Today divine David is filled with gladness, / and together with James, Joseph doth offer praise; / for they rejoice at receiving a crown as kinsmen of Christ, / and they praise Him who is ineffably born on earth, and they cry: // O Compassionate One, save them that honour Thee.

Both now…

Festal Kontakion, Tone 3:  Today the Virgin giveth birth to Him Who is transcendent in essence; / and the earth offereth a cave to Him Who is unapproachable. / Angels with shepherds give glory; / with a star the Magi do journey; // for our sake a young Child is born, Who is pre-eternal God.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone:  Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
Reader:  In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
Choir:  Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians

Galatians 1:11-19 (§200):  Brethren:  I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. * For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. * For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it: * And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. * But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, * To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: * Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. * Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. * But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone: He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in the shelter of the God of heaven.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge.  He is my God, and I will hope in Him.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: In the 4th Tone: Remember, O Lord, David and all his meekness.

Matthew 2:13-23 (§4):  At that time, when the Wise Men were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. * When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: * And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son. * Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men. * Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, * In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not. * But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, * Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life. * And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel. * But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: * And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of 'It is truly meet...' we sing the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the Second Canon of the feast, First Tone (melody:  Thy victorious right hand...)

Refrain:  Magnify, O my soul,/ her who is more honorable and more glorious than the hosts on high,/ the most pure Virgin Theotokos.

Irmos:  Better would it be for us to keep silence in fear, for it is without peril; and it is difficult, O Virgin, to weave complex hymns harmoniously with love.  But grant us, O Mother, the strength to fulfill our intent.

Or according to the current practice of some, the following Irmos is used (with the same refrain, and in the same tone):

A strange and most wonderful mystery do I see:/ the cave is heaven;/ the Virgin the throne of the Cherubim;/ the manger a room, in which Christ, the God Whom nothing can contain, is laid.Him do we praise and magnify.

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!