Julian Choir Cues: 30 Pentecost, 21 December/3 January 2021

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a service for the Forefeast of the Nativity of Christ.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his  website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES — 21 December/3 January 2021
THIRTIETH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST — Tone 5

Epistle:  Hebrews 11:9-10, 17-23, 32-40 (§328)
Gospel:  Matthew 1:1-25 (§1)

Thirtieth Sunday after Pentecost.  Forefeast of the Nativity of Christ and Sunday of the Holy Fathers.  Virgin-martyr Juliana of Nicomedia.  St Peter, Metropolitan of Kiev (Polyeleos-rank service).  Martyr Themistocles of Myra in Lycia.  St Juliana, Princess of Viazma.  Blessed Procopius of Viatka, fool-for-Christ.  St Philaret (Theodosius in schema), Metropolitan of Kiev.  New-Hieromartyr Nicetas, Bishop of Belev (1938).

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Forefeast
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Forefeast

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Fathers
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Fathers

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 12 Troparia, 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Fathers, 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon of the Forefeast

1.  Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross confessed Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his heart:  Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

2.  Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

Together let us hymn as Saviour and Creator, Him Who on the Cross budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated from the tree to wither up.

3.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn Thee as our true God and Saviour.

4.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honourable women sought to anoint Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to them, crying out: The Lord is risen!

5.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Faithfully preserving the glory of the image and likeness of God, with the fire of the Spirit the children, as champions, extinguished the fire of the golden image, chanting: We know but one Lord!

6.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

The captive children, clothed with the wisdom and power of the Spirit, put to shame the wise men of Babylon and boldly cried out:  None is holy save Thee, O Lord Who lovest mankind!

7.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

The law doth rejoice and joineth chorus with the children and the prophets and doth exult today before the divine advent of the Lord.  And Abraham doth rejoice, for from his seed hath the incarnate Lord appeared.

8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

A conception without pain, an acceptance of thy birthgiving hath transpired in manner beyond recounting, O Theotokos, for the Word of God, Who is God and was proclaimed by the prophets, hath shown Himself to be a mystery beyond nature.

9.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O Lady, as a new heaven thou dost come, that Christ, the Sun of glory, might shine forth in the flesh from thy womb, as through a cloud, in the cave; for, in His boundless loving-kindness, He desireth splendidly to illumine all who are of this earth with rays of His own light.

10.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

(repeat foregoing Troparion)  O Lady, as a new heaven thou dost come, that Christ, the Sun of glory, might shine forth in the flesh from thy womb, as through a cloud, in the cave; for, in His boundless loving-kindness, He desireth splendidly to illumine all who are of this earth with rays of His own light.

11.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Thou didst perceive our infirmity and misery, O compassionate Christ, and didst not disdain us; but, without leaving the Father, Thou didst abase Thyself and make Thine abode in the womb of her who knew not wedlock, who now cometh forth to give birth unto Thee, without pain, in the cave.

12.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Ye mountains and hills, fields and vales, people and generations, nations and every creature: exult, filled with divine gladness, for the deliverance of all, the Word of God, the Timeless One, Who in His loving-kindness hath come under time, doth come with haste.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 5:  Let us, O faithful, praise and worship the Word / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He was pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh / and to endure death, // and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

Troparion of the Fathers, Tone 2:  Great are the achievements of faith!  / In the fountain of flame, as in refreshing water, / the Three Holy Children rejoiced.  / And the prophet Daniel proved a shepherd of lions as of sheep. // By their prayers, O Christ God, save our souls.

Troparion of the Forefeast, Tone 4:  Make ready, O Bethlehem, / Eden hath been opened unto all. / Prepare, O Ephratha, / for the Tree of life hath blossomed in the cave from the Virgin. / For her womb proved to be a spiritual paradise / wherefrom there came the Divine Plant, / whereof eating we shall live and not die like Adam. / Christ is born // to raise the image that fell of old.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Fathers, Tone 1:  Rejoice, O Bethlehem! / Ephratha, make ready! / for behold, the Ewe hasteneth to give birth unto the Great Shepherd / Whom she carrieth in her womb. / And seeing Him, the God-bearing Fathers rejoice, // and with the shepherds praise the Virgin who giveth milk.

Both now…

Kontakion of the Forefeast, Tone 3:  Today the Virgin cometh to give birth ineffably / to the pre-eternal Word in the cave. / Dance, O world! And having heard this, / with the angels and shepherds glorify the pre-eternal God, // Who is to appear as a little babe.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
Choir:  Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
Reader:  For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.
Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
Reader:  Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers.
Choir:  And praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

[Hebrews 11:9-10,17-23,32-40 (§328)]:  Brethren:  By faith Abraham sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: * For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. * By faith, when he was tried, he offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, * Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: * Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure. * By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. * By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff. * By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones. * By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment. * And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: * Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, * Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. * Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: * And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: * They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: * God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone:
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: O God, with our ears have we heard, for our fathers have told us.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader: Thou hast saved us from them that afflict us, and them that hate us hast Thou put to shame.

[Matthew 1:1-25 (§1)]:  The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. * Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; * And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; * And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; * And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; * And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; * And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; * And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias; * And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias; * And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias; * And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon: * And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; * And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; * And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; * And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; * And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. * So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations. * Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. * Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. * But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. * And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. * Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, * Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. * Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: * And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!