Julian Choir Cues, 29 Pentecost, 14/27 December 2020

Margaret Lark

MANY thanks to Fred Boswell for covering the Cues while my computer is out of commission.  I'm doing what I can by tablet, but the Cues would have been a bit much without an actual keyboard.  The usual preliminary statements from other Cues apply.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 14/27 December 2020

TWENTY-NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 4

Epistle:   For the 29th Sunday:  Col. 3:4-11 (§257)

Gospel:  For the 29th Sunday:  Luke 14:16-24 (§76)

Twenty-Ninth Sunday after Pentecost.  Sunday of the Holy Forefathers. Martyrs Thyrsus, Leucius, and Callinicus of Apollonia; Maryrs Apollonius, Philemon, Arianus, and Theoctychus of Alexandria; New Hieromartyr Nicholas;  St. Bassian confessor; Saint Ilarion; St. Venatius Fortunatas; Venerable Hygbald; Sts. Fingar and Phila; Venerable Daniel the Hesychast.

HOURS

At all Hours:

Resurrectional Troparion

Glory...

Troparion of the Forefathers

Both now...

Theotokion from the Horologion

Kontakion of the Forefathers

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)

Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10 Troparia, 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forefathers

1,  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise.  For the one by tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other, crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me in Thy kingdom!

2.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast delivered all from the bonds of hades.  Thereby have we been illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam, the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith: Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

For our sake He Who is without passion became a man subject to the passions; and, nailed of His own will to the Cross, He hath raised us up with Himself.  Wherefore, we glorify His Cross, passion, and resurrection, whereby we have been refashioned and whereby we also are saved, who cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O ye faithful, let us entreat Him who hath risen from the dead, hath made captive the dominion of hades, and wast seen by the myrrh-bearing women and said to them: “Rejoice!”, that He deliver from corruption the souls of us who ever cry out to Him with the voice of the noble thief: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

The zeal of Seth for his Creator is hymned throughout the world, for in his blameless life and spiritual love he was truly pleasing unto Him, and now doth cry out in the land of the living: holy art Thou, O Lord.

8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

The wondrous Enos trusted in the Spirit and with divine wisdom began to call upon the God and Master of all with mouth, tongue and heart; and having lived on earth in a God-pleasing manner, he received glory.

9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Let us bless Enoch with sacred utterances, for, having been well pleasing unto the Lord, he was translated in glory, being shown to be greater than death, as it hath been written, since he had been a most earnest servant of God.

Now doth the Expectation of the nations come forth from the Virgin, and Bethlehem doth radiantly open the shut gates of Eden, receiving the incarnate Word, Who, in the flesh, was laid in a manger.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion,  Tone 4:  Having learned the joyful proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord spake to the apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled and Christ God is risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

Troparion of the Forefathers, Tone 2:  By faith Thou didst justify the Forefathers, / when through them Thou didst betroth Thyself aforetime / to the Church that was from among the nations.  / The Saints boast in glory that from their seed there is a glorious fruit, / even she that bore Thee seedlessly.  // By their prayers, O Christ God, save our souls.

Glory… Both now...

Kontakion of the Forefathers, Tone 6:  A hand-wrought image ye would not worship, / O thrice-blessed ones; / but armed with the Indescribable Essence, / ye were glorified in your ordeal by fire./ Standing in the midst of the irresistible flame, ye called upon God: / Speed Thou, O Compassionate One, / and hasten, as Thou art Merciful, // to come unto our aid, for Thou art able if Thou will it.

EPISTLE

ReaderThe Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

Choir:  Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

Reader For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.

Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

Reader:  Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers.

Choir:  And praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Colossians.

Col. 3:4-11 (§257):  When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. * Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. * Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, * in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. * But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. * Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, * and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, * where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  Moses and Aaron among His priests, and Samuel among them that call upon His name.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  They called upon the Lord, and He hearkened unto them.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!!

GOSPEL

Luke 14:16-24 (§76): Then He said to him, "A certain man gave a great supper and invited many, * and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, 'Come, for all things are now ready.' * But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, 'I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.' * And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused.' * Still another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.' * So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.' * And the servant said, 'Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.' * Then the master said to the servant, 'Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. * 'For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.' "

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!