Julian Choir Cues: 25 Pentecost, 16/29 November 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank service for the Holy Apostle and Evangelist Matthew.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 16/29 November 2020
TWENTY-FIFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 8

Twenty-Fifth Sunday after Pentecost.  Holy Apostle and Evangelist Matthew.  St Fulvianus (Matthew in baptism), Prince of Ethiopia.  St Anianus, Patriarch of Alexandria.  Venerable Sergius of Malopinega.  New-Hieromartyr Priest Theodore Kolerov, and with him the laymen Ananias and Michael.

Epistle:
For the Sunday:  Ephesians 4:1-6 (§224)
For the Apostle:  1 Corinthians 4:9-16 (§131)

Gospel:
For the Sunday: Luke 10:25-37 (§53)
For the Apostle:  Matthew 9:9-13 (§30)

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Apostle
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:
Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Apostle
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Apostle

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia:  6 from the Octoechos, 4 from the Ode 3 of the Canon of the Apostle

1.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

Remember us, O Christ, Thou Saviour of the world, as Thou didst remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

2.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

3.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Saviour, Thou didst deliver Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou art compassionate.

4.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after His suffering and resurrection.

5  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

6.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

7.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

O Word of God, Thou hast shown Thine apostles forth as beacons of life which drive away the gloom of ungodliness and illumine the whole world with Thy divine glory, O Master.

8.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Having armed the most valiant Matthew with Thine armour, O Saviour, Thou hast made him mightier than the tyrants and hast shown him to be the destroyer of the deception of idolatry, O Master Who lovest mankind.

9.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The sound of thy fiery tongue consumed the temples of the demons, O divinely inspired Matthew, thou instrument of the Comforter, through whom Christ, the hypostatic Life of all, is proclaimed.

10.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

The clarion of theology which soundeth forth mightily hath illumined the divinely wise Matthew to proclaim to the people the Effulgence of the Trinity and the incarnation of the Word from thee, O all-pure one, in manner past understanding.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8:  From on high didst Thou descend, O compassionate One; / to burial of three days hast Thou submitted / that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our Life and Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Apostle, Tone 3: Zealously following Christ the Master, / Who, in His goodness, appeared to men on earth / and called thee from thy tax-booth, / thou wast shown to be a chosen apostle / and a clarion-voiced proclaimer of the Gospel to the whole world.  / Wherefore, we honour thy precious memory, O divinely eloquent Matthew.  / Entreat the merciful God, // that He grant remission of sins unto our souls.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8:  Having risen from the tomb, Thou didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine arising from the dead, O Greatly-merciful one.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Glory...

Kontakion of the Apostle, Tone 4:  Casting off the yoke of thy publican’s office, / thou didst shoulder the yoke of righteousness / and wast shown to be a most excellent merchant, / bringing in the wisdom from on high as riches.  / Wherefore, thou didst preach the Word of truth / and hast uplifted the souls of the despondent, // describing the hour of judgment.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.

Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.

Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.

Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.

Reader:  In the Same Tone: Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Choir:  Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 4:1-6 (§224):  Brethren:  I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, * With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; * Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. * There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; * One Lord, one faith, one baptism, * One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

I Corinthians 4:9-16 (§131):  Brethren:  I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. * We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised. * Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling place; * And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: * Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day. * I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you. * For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. * Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation unto God our Saviour.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader:  Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: In the 1st Tone: The heavens shall confess Thy wonders, O Lord, and Thy truth in the congregation of saints.

Luke 10:25-37 (§53):  At that time, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? * He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? * And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. * And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. * But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? * And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. * And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. * And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. * But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, * And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. * And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. * Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? * And he said, He that showed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Matthew 9:9-13 (§30):  At that time, as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him. * And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. * And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? * But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. * But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!