Julian Choir Cues: 24 Pentecost, 9/22 November 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a double service for Martyrs Onesiphorus and Porphyrius of Ephesus, together with St Matrona.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 9/22 November 2020
TWENTY-FOURTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 7

Epistle:   Ephesians 2:14-22 (§221)
Gospel:  Luke 8:41-56 (§39)

Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost.  Martyrs Onesiphorus and Porphyrius of Ephesus.  Venerable Matrona of Constantinople.  Venerable Theoctista of the Isle of Lesbos.  Martyr Alexander of Thessalonica.  Martyr Anthony the Syrian of Apamea.  Venerable Eustolia and Sosipatra the princess.  Venera le John the Short.  Venerable Symeon Metaphrastes of Constantinople.  Venerable Euthymius and Heophytus of the Docheiariou Monastery, Mount Athos.  Venerable Onesiphorus, confessor of the Kiev Caves.  Venerable Helladius.  St Nectarius, Metropolitan of Pentapolis.  New-Hieromartyr Parthenius, Bishop of Anan'evsk, Odess.  'She Who is Quick to Hear' Icon of the Mother of God of Mount Athos (Polyeleos-rank service).

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saint
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Martyrs
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
8 Troparia from the Octoechos

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

1.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

2.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole human race from deception.  Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and Benefactor.

3.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead from among the dead.  Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

4.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the world.  Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

5.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all; and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.  Glory to Thine arising!

6.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

7.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

The Father is light; the Son and Word is light; and the Holy Spirit is light.  Yet the Three are one Light, for they are one God in three Persons, One in nature and origin, indivisible, unconfused and preeternal.

8.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

For our sake thou gavest birth in the flesh to the Son and Word of the Father, as thou thyself hast declared, O Theotokos.  Wherefore, O Virgin Mother, we who are deified through thee cry out to thee:  Rejoice, O hope of Christians!

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief. / Thou didst change the lamentation of the Myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine Apostles to proclaim  / that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and grantest to the world great mercy.

[Troparion of the Temple]

Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 4:  In their sufferings O Lord, / Thy martyrs received imperishable crowns from Thee, our God; / for, possessed of Thy might, / they cast down the tormentors and set at naught the feeble audacity of the demons. // By their supplications save our souls.

Troparion of the Saint, Tone 8:  In thee, O mother, that which was created according to the image of God was manifestly saved; / for, accepting thy cross, thou didst follow after Christ, / and praying, thou didst learn to disdain the flesh, for thou didst transcend it, / and to take care of thine immortal soul.  // Wherefore, thy soul doth rejoice with the angels, O venerable Matrona.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7:  No longer will the dominion of death be able to keep men captive; / for Christ hath descended, demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. /  Hades is bound; / the prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them that have faith. //  Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection.

[Kontakion of the Temple]

Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 2:  Having suffered mightily, the two martyrs/cast the arrogance of the enemy down to the ground, / being illumined by the grace of the uncreated Trinity, / O glorious Onesiphorus and Porphyrius.  // Pray ye unceasingly in behalf of us all.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Saint, Tone 2:  For love of the Lord, O venerable Matrona, / thou didst ignore thy desire for rest, / illumining thy spirit with fasting.  / By thy supplications cast down the arrogance of the adversaries, // for mightily didst thou vanquish the wild beasts.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone:  The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.

Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.

Reader:  Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the sons of rams.

Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.

Reader:  The Lord will give strength unto His people.

Choir:  The Lord will bless His people with peace.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 2:14-22 (§221):  Brethren:  He is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; * Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; * And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: * And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. * For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. * Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; * And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone; * In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: * In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.

Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.

Luke 8:41-56 (§39):  At that time, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house: * For he had one only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay a dying. But as he went the people thronged him. * And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, * Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. * And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? * And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me. * And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately. * And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace. * While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master. * But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole. * And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden. * And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth. * And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead. * And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise. * And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat. * And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!