Julian Choir Cues: 23 August/5 September 2021

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Doxology-rank service for the Apodosis (Leave-Taking) of the Dormition.  The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 23 August/5 September 2021
ELEVENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 2

Epistle
For the Sunday:  1 Corinthians 9:2-12 (§141)
For the Theotokos:  Philippians 2:5-11 (§240)

Gospel
For the Sunday:  Matthew 18:23-35 (§77)
For the Theotokos:  Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost.  Apodosis (Leave-Taking) of the Dormition.  Martyr Lupus.  Hieromartyr Ireneaus, Bishop of Lyon.  Venerable Eutychius and Florentius of Nursia.  Hieromartyr Pothinus, Bishop of Lyon.  St Theonas, Bishop of Alexandria.  St Callinicus, Patriarch of Constantinople.  New-Hieromartyr Ephraim, Bishop of Selenginsk, and Priest John Vostorgov (1918).  Moveable Feast on the Sunday before 26. August:  Synaxis of the Saints of Moscow.

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Festal Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Festal Troparion
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia:  6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 9 of the Canon of the Feast

Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

1,  We offer Thee the cry of the thief, and we pray: Remember us in Thy kingdom, O Saviour.

Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

2.  For the forgiveness of transgressions, we offer unto Thee the Cross, which Thou didst accept for our sake, O Thou who lovest mankind.

Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

3.  We bow down in worship, O Master, before Thy burial and rising, whereby Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, O Thou Who lovest mankind.

Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

4.  Risen from the tomb, Thou didst meet the myrrh-bearing women, and Thou didst tell Thy disciples to announce Thine arising.

Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

5.  Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

6.  Those who slept in darkness, beholding Thee, the Light, in the nethermost parts of hades, O Christ, were raised from the dead.

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

7.  The angelic hosts were amazed, seeing their Master in Zion, bearing in His arms a woman’s soul; for as befitteth a Son, He exclaimed to her in all-pure manner: Come, O pure one, and be glorified with thy Son and God!

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

8.  The choirs of angels buried thy body, which had received God, gazing upon it with fear, and exclaiming with a loud voice: O Theotokos who ascendest to thy Son in the heavenly mansions, thou ever savest thine inheritance!

Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

9.  Come ye to Zion, the divine and fertile mountain of the living God, and let us behold the Theotokos; for Christ hath translated here, as His mother, to the Holy of Holies of a far better and divine tabernacle.

Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

10.  Accept from us a hymn of parting, O Mother of the living God, and with thy light-bearing and divine grace overshadow us, granting victory to Orthodox hierarchs over heresies, and forgiveness to all Christian people who hymn thee, and salvation to their souls.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 2:  When Thou didst descend unto death, O Life Immortal, / then didst Thou slay Hades with the lightning of Thy Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out of the nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the heavens cried out: // O Life-giver, Christ our God, glory be to Thee.

Festal Troparion, Tone 1: In giving birth thou didst preserve thy virginity; / in thy dormition thou didst not forsake the world, O Theotokos. / Thou wast translated unto life, / since thou art the Mother of Life; // and by thine intercessions dost thou deliver our souls from death.

Glory…

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 2:  Thou didst rise from the tomb, O omnipotent Savior, / and Hades was terrified on beholding the wonder; / and the dead arose, / and creation at the sight thereof rejoiceth with Thee. /  and Adam also is joyful, // and the world, O my Saviour, praiseth Thee for ever.

Both now...

Festal Kontakion, Tone 2:  The grave and death could not hold the Theotokos, / who is sleepless in her intercessions and an unfailing hope in her mediations. / For as the Mother of Life she was translated unto life // by Him Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 2nd Tone:  The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Choir:  The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Reader:  With chastisement hath the Lord chastened me, but He hath not given me over unto death.
Choir:  The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
Reader: In the 3rd Tone:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Choir:  My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

I Corinthians 9:2-12 (§141):  Brethren:  If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. * Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, * Have we not power to eat and to drink? * Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? * Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? * Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? * Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? * For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? * Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plough in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. * If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? * If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless, we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

Philippians 2:5-11 (§240):  Brethren:  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: * Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: * But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: * And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. * Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: * That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; * And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone: The Lord hear thee in the day of affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the day when we call upon Thee.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.

Matthew 18:23-35 (§77):  The Lord spake this parable:  The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. * And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. * But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. * The servant, therefore, fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. * Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. * But the same servant went out and found one of his fellow-servants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. * And his fellow-servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. * And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. * So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. * Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: * Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? * And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. * So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28 (§54):  At that time, Jesus entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. * And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

ZADOSTOINIK

Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the First Canon of the feast, First Tone (Melody, 'Thy victorious right hand...'):

Refrain: The angels, having beheld the Dormition of the Most pure One, / were struck with wonder, // at how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven.

Irmos:  In thee, O Virgin without spot, / the bounds of nature are overcome: / for childbirth remains virgin / and death is betrothed to life.  / O Theotokos, Virgin after bearing child and alive after death, // do thou ever save thine inheritance.

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!  I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.  Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!