Julian Choir Cues: 21 Pentecost, 19. October/1. November 2020

Margaret Lark

The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Vigil-rank service for the Feast of St John of Kronstadt. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.  If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible, so that everyone receives them in a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without his help.

In Christ,
Margaret Lark

READER AND CHOIR CUES - 19 October/1 November 2020
TWENTY-FIRST SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST - Tone 4

Epistle:
For the Sunday:  Galatians 2:16-20 (§203)
For the Saint:  1 John 4:7-11 (§73, from the midpoint)

Gospel:
For the Sunday: Luke 8:5-15 (§35)
For the Saint:  Luke 6:31-36 (§26)

Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost.  Righteous John, wonder-worker of Kronstadt (Vigil-rank service).  Holy Prophet Joel.  Martyr Varus the soldier.  Blessed Cleopatra and her son John.  Hieromartyr Sadoc, Bishop of Persia, and with him 128 martyrs.  Translation of the relics of the Venerable John of Rila, Bulgaria (six-stichera-rank service).  Venerable Leontius the philosopher of St Sabbas Monastery.  Venerable Gabriel of Mount Athos.  Monk-martyr Nicholas Dvali of Jerusalem.  New-Hieromartyr Priest Alexei Stavrovskii (1918).  Day of the glorification of the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia (1981).

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saint
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Resurrectional Kontakion

At the Sixth Hour:

Resurrectional Troparion
Glory...
Troparion of the Saint
Both now...
Theotokion from the Horologion
Kontakion of the Saint

DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

THIRD ANTIPHON (BEATITUDES)
10 Troparia:  6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Saint

1.  Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise.  For the one by tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other, crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me in Thy kingdom!

2.  Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they shall be filled.

O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

3.  Blessed are the merciful, * for they shall obtain mercy.

On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast delivered all from the bonds of hades.  Thereby have we been illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

4.  Blessed are the pure in heart, * for they shall see God.

O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam, the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith: Remember me, O Saviour, in Thy kingdom!

5.  Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

For our sake He Who is without passion became a man subject to the passions; and, nailed of His own will to the Cross, He hath raised us up with Himself.  Wherefore, we glorify His Cross, passion, and resurrection, whereby we have been refashioned and whereby we also are saved, who cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

6.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

O ye faithful, let us entreat Him who hath risen from the dead, hath made captive the dominion of hades, and wast seen by the myrrh-bearing women and said to them: “Rejoice!”, that He deliver from corruption the souls of us who ever cry out to Him with the voice of the noble thief: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

7.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

One who shared in the manner of life of the apostles and an emulator of their life wast thou, O divinely inspired one, and thou didst set forth the word of truth unto the end.

8.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

The eye of thy soul beheld the kingdom of heaven, for it was pure; wherefore, thou didst splendidly set forth thy life, and, honouring it in God, we glorify thee.

9.  Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Let him who doth not labour not eat!  These words of the Apostle Paul didst thou proclaim to thy brethren; wherefore, thou didst raise up a house of industry for the sake of the poor, wherein the impoverished and ailing might be provided for, being sustained by the work of their own hands.

10.  Both now and ever, * and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Thou art wholly light, all goodness, all wisdom; thou canst, as Mother of the Almighty, do all things; thou alone art all-perfect, in that thou art the Mother of the all-perfect King of glory.

TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4:  Having learned the joyful proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord spake to the apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled and Christ God is risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

Troparion of the Saint, Tone 4:  With the apostles thy sound hath gone forth into all the earth; / with the confessors thou didst endure sufferings for Christ; /  thou didst resemble the holy hierarchs in thy preaching of the Word; / and with the venerable hast thou shone forth in the grace of God. / Therefore, the Lord hath exalted the depths of thy humility above the heavens, / and hath given us thy name as a source of most wondrous miracles. / Wherefore, O wonder-worker, who livest in Christ forever, / take pity in thy love upon people in misfortunes; / hearken unto thy children, / who with faith call upon thee, // O John of Kronstadt, our beloved pastor.

Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4:  My Saviour and Redeemer hath, as God, / raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters, / and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath risen on the third day.

Glory…

Kontakion of the Saint, Tone 4:  O father John, namesake of grace, / who wast chosen by God from childhood, / who in thy youth miraculously received from Him the gift of learning, / and in a dream wast most gloriously called to be a priest: // Entreat Christ God, that we may all be with thee in the kingdom of heaven.

Both now...

Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them that honour thee.

EPISTLE

Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Choir:  How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been magnified exceedingly.
Choir:  How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
Reader:  In the 7th Tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.
Choir:  The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians.

Galatians 2:16-20 (§203):  Brethren:  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. * But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. * For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. * For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. * I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I John 4:7-11 (§73, from the midpoint):  Brethren:  Let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. * He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. * In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. * Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. * Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Bend Thy bow, and proceed prosperously, and be king, because of truth and meekness and righteousness.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.
Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Reader:  In the 4th Tone: His heart is ready to hope in the Lord.

Luke 8:5-15 (§35):  The Lord spake this parable:  A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. * And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. * And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. * And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. * And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? * And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. * Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. * Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. * They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. * And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. * But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luke 6:31-36 (§26):  The Lord said to His disciples:  As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. * For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. * And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. * And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. * But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. * Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

DOSTOINIK

It is truly meet...

COMMUNION VERSE

Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!